Old 24-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered User

Location: Outskirts of Bristol
Angry Carrots

Hi I am a newbie to this forum and I am also fairly new to growing my own Veg. Moved house a year ago to an acre Garden where I have now my own veg plot with raised beds. I am having trouble with Carrots getting them to sprout from seed. I have tried watering drill before put seed down, I have tried putting the seed in a drill then watering however the little blighters dosen't want to grow. I have also tried a couple of different seed packets although to be fair one of them was not this years seed but a packet that had been used by my Dad. What am I doing wrong? Lettece is ok Radish is ok Beetroot is ok etc.
Debs
Old 24-06-2009, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Carrots

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:36:40 +0100, drtj1960
wrote:

Hi I am a newbie to this forum and I am also fairly new to growing my
own Veg. Moved house a year ago to an acre Garden where I have now my
own veg plot with raised beds. I am having trouble with Carrots getting
them to sprout from seed. I have tried watering drill before put seed
down, I have tried putting the seed in a drill then watering however
the little blighters dosen't want to grow. I have also tried a couple
of different seed packets although to be fair one of them was not this
years seed but a packet that had been used by my Dad. What am I doing
wrong? Lettece is ok Radish is ok Beetroot is ok etc.
Debs

Check out this site.
http://www.carrotgardeningtips.com/index.html
--
Susan N.

Old 24-06-2009, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
drtj1960 wrote:

Hi I am a newbie to this forum and I am also fairly new to growing my
own Veg. Moved house a year ago to an acre Garden where I have now my
own veg plot with raised beds. I am having trouble with Carrots getting
them to sprout from seed. I have tried watering drill before put seed
down, I have tried putting the seed in a drill then watering however
the little blighters dosen't want to grow. I have also tried a couple
of different seed packets although to be fair one of them was not this
years seed but a packet that had been used by my Dad. What am I doing
wrong? Lettece is ok Radish is ok Beetroot is ok etc.
Debs

Try clearing off all detritus so that you only have raw soil to work
with (alfalfa pellets, bone meal, rock phosphate, wood ashes, manure,
ect. are fine, just no leaves, grass clippings, or mulch). Barely cover
seeds with dirt, and use fine spray to keep damp. Carrots should be
along in a few weeks (it seems like forever).
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 24-06-2009, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
drtj1960 wrote:

[...]

Sprinkle your seeds on well prepared soil, moisten with a very fine mist
spray and cover with a board. Start checking for germination after about a
week. When germination is noted remove the board and keep weeded until well
established. Carrots are slow to germinate and easily out competed by other
things.
Steve

Old 25-06-2009, 08:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I have found that in my warm climate that I have the best luck if I
cover my carrot seeds checking carefully ever day at the edge to see
if sprouting has occurred. The best cover material for me a
1. Burlap - old fashioned potato sack material.
2. If not burlap, about 4 thicknesses of newspaper

Keep either of these wet until seeds sprout. Either one will keep the
soil moist and the cover will keep the seeds from being disrupted
during watering.

Hope this works for you.
Regards Jim in So. Calif.

Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Why have my carrots not come up? welshuser United Kingdom 34 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM