Old 27-06-2009, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Stevia: monoecious or dioecious?

Does anyone know, if Stevia is monoecious or dioecious?
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Old 27-06-2009, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
Does anyone know, if Stevia is monoecious or dioecious?
--

Thank you Lilah. What I'm really trying to find out is can a single
plant produce viable seeds, or do you need two plants? I have one plant

Thanks again.

Old 28-06-2009, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 26, 10:58 pm, Billy wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
Does anyone know, if Stevia is monoecious or dioecious?
--

Thank you Lilah. What I'm really trying to find out is can a single
plant produce viable seeds, or do you need two plants? I have one plant
that I started from seed. I guess I'll know by the end of the season
whether I get more seeds or not.

Thanks again.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spri...tch.com/p/zinn

Hi Billy
Stevia flowers are perfect ( having both stamens and pistil) You can
verify this by looking
carefully at the flowers on your plant and looking for both parts. But
the plants seem
to need cross pollination. So yes, you would need two plants. The
preferred method of
propagation seems to be by cuttings.

this may be helpful (it's where I learned all that above info)

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/p...99/v4-510.html

Emilie
NorCal
where it was 102 today, but I was up at 6800' where it was cooler, but
not very!
Old 28-06-2009, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Jun 26, 10:58 pm, Billy wrote:

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spri...omdispatch.com
/p/zinn

Hi Billy
Stevia flowers are perfect ( having both stamens and pistil) You can
verify this by looking
carefully at the flowers on your plant and looking for both parts. But
the plants seem
to need cross pollination. So yes, you would need two plants. The
preferred method of
propagation seems to be by cuttings.

this may be helpful (it's where I learned all that above info)

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/p...99/v4-510.html

Emilie
NorCal
where it was 102 today, but I was up at 6800' where it was cooler, but
not very!

Thank you. I think I'll invest in lights until I know what I'm doing.
My Stevia just went into flower. I tried some leaves today. They were a
little on the sour side but sweet as sugar. Last year they didn't flower.
I wonder what,"Propagation of stevia is usually by stem cuttings which
root easily, but require high labor inputs.", means? What "high labor
inputs?"

Computer says 95F here at 4:30 PM. At least not the near 100s that were
forecast :O))

One of my Stupice is with fruit :O)) Widow lady down the street is first
this year with her Sun Gold tomatoes ;O(

I have a volunteer cherry tomato from last year. I'm hoping that it is
the Yellow Pear. If it is the Sun Gold from last year it could be
very interesting (disaster).

After the wake up call on the echinacea, I realized I had 5 of them
(last year) and a couple more fringe pink (6 in total). The elcampane is
in flower. Nothing to write home about, but it is nearly 7 ft. tall.
The mullein, hysopp, golden rod, and the milk thistle are flowering as
well. Not to mention that there are a half a dozen nasturtium
volunteers, and the prunella vulgaris has taken to moving around the
yard.

It's nuts, suddenly, as everything is going full tilt, I feel like I'm
running out of time. Still so much to do. I'm nuts. Gardeners are nuts
;O)

Old 28-06-2009, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article wildbilly-573209.23064427062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Jun 26, 10:58 pm, Billy wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Means they have to hire people and pay them to process and maintain the
cuttings.

Have a look at Crazysweet Stevia.

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...?product=X6031
&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Plants&cart_id =6493232.589
Old 28-06-2009, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-573209.23064427062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Jun 26, 10:58 pm, Billy wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Does anyone know, if Stevia is monoecious or dioecious?
--

Thank you Lilah. What I'm really trying to find out is can a single
plant produce viable seeds, or do you need two plants? I have one plant
that I started from seed. I guess I'll know by the end of the season
whether I get more seeds or not.

Thanks again.
--

- Billy

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few
who

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spri...ww.tomdispatch
[...]

That just means that there would be high labor costs if producing potted
Stevia was all you did. 3 -- $18, 30 -- $180, 90 -- $540
Doesn't look too bad.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

my stevia plants taste like crap! Ohioguy Edible Gardening 8 22-07-2011 02:30 AM
Stevia: monoecious or dioecious? Billy[_7_] Gardening 0 27-06-2009 12:30 AM
Stevia Arviragus Edible Gardening 6 29-05-2004 11:06 PM
Stevia larry Edible Gardening 8 08-12-2003 07:12 AM
stevia query whiteMemphis Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:26 PM