Old 28-06-2009, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Three sisters garden, week 9

My three sisters garden is coming along. The corn is doing well, the
beans have been eaten by insects, and I have a few melon and squash
plants. I've started to spray the garden with a mixture of Ivory Liquid
and corn oil, we'll see if that helps.

Here is a link to pictures of the garden,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuar...eat=directlink
Old 28-06-2009, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

My three sisters garden is coming along. The corn is doing well, the
beans have been eaten by insects,

Are you sure it's insects and not snails or slugs? My beans were ravaged
by snails but iron phosphate has them under control now.

--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 28-06-2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:52:28 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

My three sisters garden is coming along. The corn is doing well, the
beans have been eaten by insects,

Are you sure it's insects and not snails or slugs? My beans were ravaged
by snails but iron phosphate has them under control now.
and I have a few melon and squash
plants. I've started to spray the garden with a mixture of Ivory Liquid
and corn oil, we'll see if that helps.

Here is a link to pictures of the garden,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuar...eat=directlink

I can't say for sure. I don't see any snails but that doesn't mean that
they aren't the cause, I know I have snails in the backyard because in
the days when I had an outdoor cat I would find snails on his water dish.

I'll run down to Agway and see if they have any iron phosphate, thanks
for the suggestion.

Old 29-06-2009, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 28 Jun 2009 18:39:24 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

My three sisters garden is coming along. The corn is doing well, the
beans have been eaten by insects, and I have a few melon and squash
plants. I've started to spray the garden with a mixture of Ivory Liquid
and corn oil, we'll see if that helps.

Here is a link to pictures of the garden,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuar...eat=directlink

Don't you have to protect your blueberries from the critters, too?

This is the first year in a long time that *we* have actually enjoyed
our blueberries rather than provide them to the local fauna food
pantry.

We built a full enclosure around and over the bushes. Just angle iron
and netting. Worked like a charm, although I have to say that we get
birds, groundhogs, squirrels, raccoons, etc, and no deer in the
backyard (back is fenced well), although a similar structure around
the tulip beds up front did keep the deer from eating them.

We do get bears around here, though, and I assume none were attracted
to the berries, as the enclosure would never have deterred bears.

Something ate all the melon plants this weekend and started nibbling
on a few of the tomato plants, too. Even the groundhogs avoid the
tomato plants. I need to set up a camera...or a shotgun, maybe.

Boron
Old 29-06-2009, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:10:44 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:

pantry.

I have a net enclosing the blueberry bushes.

Old 29-06-2009, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

the berries, as the enclosure would never have deterred bears.

Something ate all the melon plants this weekend and started nibbling on
a few of the tomato plants, too. Even the groundhogs avoid the tomato
plants. I need to set up a camera...or a shotgun, maybe.

Boron

I've been using coyote and fox urine this year. I usually have a
groundhog problem but I haven't seen any since I started using the urine.
This isn't proof that it works, it's possible that the groundhog was
eaten by an actual coyote, they have become much more plentiful in recent
years.
Old 29-06-2009, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 29 Jun 2009 16:51:24 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

the berries, as the enclosure would never have deterred bears.

Something ate all the melon plants this weekend and started nibbling on
a few of the tomato plants, too. Even the groundhogs avoid the tomato
plants. I need to set up a camera...or a shotgun, maybe.

Boron

I've been using coyote and fox urine this year. I usually have a
groundhog problem but I haven't seen any since I started using the urine.
This isn't proof that it works, it's possible that the groundhog was
eaten by an actual coyote, they have become much more plentiful in recent
years.

I hope your solution is working. My groundhogs only show up when there
is enough in the garden to make their foraging worthwhile. They are
similar to the story that used to be told about raccoons and crops.

Q:.When is corn ready to pick?
A: One day before the raccoons think it is.

Boron
Old 29-06-2009, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

the berries, as the enclosure would never have deterred bears.

Something ate all the melon plants this weekend and started nibbling on
a few of the tomato plants, too. Even the groundhogs avoid the tomato
plants. I need to set up a camera...or a shotgun, maybe.

Boron

I've been using coyote and fox urine this year. I usually have a
groundhog problem but I haven't seen any since I started using the urine.
This isn't proof that it works, it's possible that the groundhog was
eaten by an actual coyote, they have become much more plentiful in recent
years.

I hope your solution is working. My groundhogs only show up when there
is enough in the garden to make their foraging worthwhile. They are
similar to the story that used to be told about raccoons and crops.

Q:.When is corn ready to pick?
A: One day before the raccoons think it is.

Boron

The groundhogs left the area when my dog showed up. Possums too. Never
saw 1 deer when we spent the summer in VT, but we did see a black
bear.

Dogs are great. (Yet I miss the wildlife.)

Kate

Old 29-06-2009, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

the berries, as the enclosure would never have deterred bears.

Something ate all the melon plants this weekend and started nibbling on
a few of the tomato plants, too. Even the groundhogs avoid the tomato
plants. I need to set up a camera...or a shotgun, maybe.

Boron

I've been using coyote and fox urine this year. I usually have a
groundhog problem but I haven't seen any since I started using the urine.
This isn't proof that it works, it's possible that the groundhog was
eaten by an actual coyote, they have become much more plentiful in recent
years.

I hope your solution is working. My groundhogs only show up when there
is enough in the garden to make their foraging worthwhile. They are
similar to the story that used to be told about raccoons and crops.

Q:.When is corn ready to pick?
A: One day before the raccoons think it is.

Boron

The groundhogs left the area when my dog showed up. Possums too. Never
saw 1 deer when we spent the summer in VT, but we did see a black
bear.

Dogs are great. (Yet I miss the wildlife.)

Kate

My dog is the size of a mop and way too small to frighten off
anything.

I enjoy the wildlife, but I am the first garden next to a large wooded
area and the critters use it as an all-you-can-eat truck stop in
season.

Boron

Week 6 in the three sisters garden General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 2 08-06-2009 06:58 PM
Week 3 of my Three Sisters garden General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 0 17-05-2009 11:13 PM
Three sisters garden, day 1 General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 7 04-05-2009 11:23 PM
Three sisters William Barger Gardening 7 17-03-2005 07:47 PM
"The three sisters" method ken cohen United Kingdom 22 01-01-2004 02:07 PM