Old 28-06-2009, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ID this, please

Something got planted in the deck garden and escaped a label. Since
several family members were digging through the seed envelopes (of
which there are at least 150, many with no photos or drawings) and
plating that day, I have (almost) no idea of what it is.

It was placed along side the pots that have lettuce spinach and
greens, so I am guessing it might be some sort of edible, but frankly,
it would be nice to confirm that. I have boldly tasted a leaf and it
is peppery - in fact, similar to a green pepper taste.

I have a bunch of Asian vegetable/greens seeds with no English on
them. Something along those lines perhaps? The leaves are not soft, as
spinach would be, they are bendable, surely, but more stiff. The
plants are about 12" tall right now.

Nevertheless, with all the fun had by everyone the day of planting,
this might be anything. Mystery can be interesting, I suppose. Please
don't let me lead you down the primrose path with the info above.

Any help is appreciated.

http://i40.tinypic.com/6qw86p.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2uj1k6x.jpg

Boron
Old 28-06-2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Boron Elgar wrote:
[...]

It looks a bit like sweet potato but not exactly.

David
Old 29-06-2009, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:40:47 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
[...]

Alas, that is one thing I am sure did not get planted.

Boron
Old 29-06-2009, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

It could be Mirabilis(Four-O'-Clocks) not yet in bloom... If you are
sure it is a vegetable then maybe it is New Zealand spinach.
Old 29-06-2009, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Boron Elgar said:

[...]

Are the stems round, or are they (at least slighty) square?

It almost looks like it could be some sort of exotic basil-ish sort
of thing, which would have square stems. But I can't convince
myself one way or the other, based on the pictures.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 29-06-2009, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Boron Elgar said:

[...]

Wait a bit and see if it blooms and fruits. Looks to me like some kind
of pepper plant.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Old 29-06-2009, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

McGerm wrote:
It could be Mirabilis(Four-O'-Clocks) not yet in bloom... If you are
sure it is a vegetable then maybe it is New Zealand spinach.

I reckon that's it, see

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...0spinach-1.jpg

David
Old 29-06-2009, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:44:22 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

Boron Elgar said:

[...]

This may be on the right track, as I have some seeds for Holy (Thai)
basil, and, if I recall correctly from previous years, it doesn't
resemble the standard Italian-type basils at all. I'll check later on.
Thanks.
Old 29-06-2009, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 05:54:23 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Boron Elgar said:

[...]

I have peppers of all sorts growing and even the most adventurous
among the family would not have dropped that much pepper seed into one
pot.

Nevertheless...

Old 29-06-2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:51:41 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

McGerm wrote:
It could be Mirabilis(Four-O'-Clocks) not yet in bloom... If you are
sure it is a vegetable then maybe it is New Zealand spinach.

I reckon that's it, see

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...0spinach-1.jpg

David

The leaf edges of the NZ SP are irregular and this has smooth edges.

Crazy, eh?

Boron

Old 29-06-2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
[...]

Did you by chance have pepper seeds in there? Kinda looks like one of the
Korean green pepper plants albiet a bit wide at the leaf base. The leaves
of chiles are sometimes used as a green. A suggestion for IDs is to put a
common point of reference, such as a short ruler, a coin, etc. in your
pic. Too far from your decking to get an estimate of the leaf size.