GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/185265-ot-question.html)

Lilah Morgan[_2_] 29-06-2009 08:42 PM

OT Question

Anyone know which herbs can be used to make an effective repellant for
mosquitoes?

Victoria, zone 5a
--
What would YOU do for a Klondike Bar?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill who putters 29-06-2009 08:56 PM

OT Question

In article ,
"Lilah Morgan" wrote:

Anyone know which herbs can be used to make an effective repellant for
mosquitoes?

Victoria, zone 5a

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g2603/is_0005/ai_2603000582/

Speaks of mosquitoes.

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pennyr23.html

General history.

I use pennyroyal essential oil to keep ants out of the house. One or
two eye droppers deters on the wood sill. Sometimes for 3 years. Yes
this scent is STRONG. I would not apply it to skin but a flea collar
homemade about the ankle may be OK. Still the scent pleasant at first
will or can be annoying so be able to discard. Tried the plants but
they failed here.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives

phorbin 30-06-2009 03:40 AM

OT Question

In article ,
says...
Anyone know which herbs can be used to make an effective repellant for
mosquitoes?

Victoria, zone 5a

Look into catnip.

gunner 30-06-2009 03:58 AM

OT Question

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
Anyone know which herbs can be used to make an effective repellant for
mosquitoes?

Victoria, zone 5a
--
What would YOU do for a Klondike Bar?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.myspace.com/vhestin
http://hopespringsfarm.angelfire.com
http://www.twitter.com/lilahpryce

Lemongrass (citronella), Garlic, Marigold, Rosemary, Sage. Oily smelly
herbs seem to work best. Rub them on to you or put anyone of them into a
tinfoil
pouch on a grill or above a candle. Smells pretty anyway.

Omelet[_4_] 01-07-2009 07:58 PM

OT Question

In article ,
"Lilah Morgan" wrote:

Anyone know which herbs can be used to make an effective repellant for
mosquitoes?

Victoria, zone 5a

Citronella and/or garlic.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Lilah Morgan[_2_] 02-07-2009 07:19 PM

OT Question

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have most of those herbs already, except
pennyroyal and having trouble with getting lemongrass to grow...the seeds
sprout, but then they always die off...dunno if I'm under/over watering or
what...

gunner 02-07-2009 08:33 PM

OT Question

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ers2...
Thanks to everyone who replied. I have most of those herbs already, except
pennyroyal and having trouble with getting lemongrass to grow...the seeds
sprout, but then they always die off...dunno if I'm under/over watering or
what...

use the stalks from the store, the fresher the better. A good Asian store is
a good source. I had 21 out of 21 root. I found if you peel off some of
the layers of outer stalk you will see a small node under some, It will root
easier than it will breaking through all that tough outer layer. Plop the
stalk in water or better yet go look at the Folger Coffee Can Bubbling
Cloner I posted. The oxygenated water will really help rooting.