Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Seed dryer

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Part_No" wrote:

Ernie Willson wrote in news:4a4f8ff0$0$3540
:

I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can
direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of home
garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

TIA,
EJ in NJ

93,000,000,000 miles away is the thing you are looking for :-}

http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm

It looks like a really inexpensive and neat design..Thanks

EJ in NJ
Old 27-07-2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Jul 4, 1:24*pm, Ernie Willson wrote:
I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can
direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

I use the paper towel, newspaper method, and while it can work,
frequently the seeds will not germinate, so faster drying may be the
key. Tomato seeds work well, but pepper seeds less so. This could also
be due to hybrid seeds, right?

-Darrell Ulm
Old 27-07-2009, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Basically, in nature, the fruit falls to the ground or is eaten and
the seeds get pooped out.
Then they lay in the ground until spring, when they start growing.

Couldn’t a person just plant the wet seeds in little pots that are
kept outside?
Then in the spring, they would grow just like in the wild.

I’m guessing that it wouldn’t work, simply because it is not standard
practice, but thought I would ask anyway.

Old 28-07-2009, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"CanopyCo" wrote in message

Basically, in nature, the fruit falls to the ground or is eaten and
the seeds get pooped out.
Then they lay in the ground until spring, when they start growing.

Couldn’t a person just plant the wet seeds in little pots that are
kept outside?
Then in the spring, they would grow just like in the wild.

I’m guessing that it wouldn’t work, simply because it is not standard
practice, but thought I would ask anyway.

Whether it works depends. It depends on your climate, the plant and the
viability of the seed.

I live in a climate that gets hard frosts but snow is as rare as rocking
horse poop.

In Autumn I frequently strip the seed heads of things and just strew the
seeds around the garden to lie there and come up or not as they want to do.
I generally don't bother with putting the seeds in anything but I have done
it sometimes using old broccoli boxes. My problem is forgetting seeds in
pots so I'd rather the seed did its own thing.

Things that grow easily from using this strewing technique are parsley,
coriander, basil, calendulas, aquilegia, mustard, silver beet (chard) and
probably others that I would recall if I took a walk around my garden.

Other things that grow voluntarily from my cold composting techniques are
pumpkins and apple trees and various other squashes.

Old 28-07-2009, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Jul 27, 11:31*pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.
I think I will give this a try next year.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Jul 5, 5:51*pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden.

What sort of seeds are you wanting to dry?

I just leave seeds on my kitchen bench on a piece of paper towle or even
just in a small glass bowl to dry before I store them.

Mostly I am drying flower seedheads and vegetable seeds. Flowers include
Coreopsis, Asters, Shasta Daisy, Heliopsis, Marigold, Zinnia *and
Gallardia. Vegetables include Tomato, Summer Squash, Peas, *Radish,
Eggplant and Peppers.

Unless you live in an extremely humid area, why do you need a seed drier?

As I mentioned, my kitchen bench works fine for drying the seeds I keep or
indeed, the plant itself where I leave a lot of seed heads to mature because
I figure nature knows best how to do it and why should I interfere given
that I can just harvest the seeds when dried.

I mention humidity because that can certainly spoil some seeds but in most
circumstances, anywhere that you can survive, your seeds will too until you
are ready to store them.

I save my tomato seeds by fermenting them for a few days in an old jar with
some water,

Why fermenting? Straight question.

Does anybody ferment any other plant seeds before drying?

TIA

Persephone

then run them under running water and then dump them out onto a
piece of kitchen paper towel adn then leave them on the bench till the paper
towel and the seeds are dry. *I then just roll up the paper towel and store
the whoel thing till time to plant when I just either peel the seeds off the
paer towle or tear the towel into tiny bits and plant the seed on the towel.

Since I've never had any problems with seeds drying on the kitchen bench and
especially the tomatoes which are sodden when I lay them out to dry, *I'm
wondering why you'd go to the expense of buying a seed drier?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 5:51 pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I save my tomato seeds by fermenting them for a few days in an old jar
with
some water,

Why fermenting? Straight question.

Tomato seeds straight from the tomato have a slimy coating (think snot
like). Leaving them for a few days in water gets rid of the slimyness and
then all you have to do is pour them into a kitchen sieve and run a bit of
water on them and then dump them onto a bit of kitchen towel wait for the
whole bit of towel to dry, roll it up and put it away till tomato seed
planting time..

Old 08-08-2009, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

Why fermenting? Straight question.

Fermenting is reputed to kill some pathogens.
It definitely breaks down the gel sac around each seed, making them much
easier to handle once washed and dried.
The Seed Saver's Exchange farm in Iowa has a huge German-built machine to
extract tomato and other seed (think a Foley on steroids), but they still
add water and ferment the tomato seeds for a few days.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Leaving them for a few days in water gets rid of the slimyness and
then all you have to do is pour them into a kitchen sieve and run a bit of
water on them

Having done that, I just spread the seeds out in the sieve and point a
small desk fan at it. They dry in a couple of hours.

Old 26-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Registered User

Location: USA

The Seed Counter is computerized one and specially designed for quick counting of Seeds. This machine is useful for grains and pulses laboratories where counting of Seeds is a routine requirement. It is microcontroller based highly advanced unit with alphanumeric display of the commodity name and its other details. The machine can be attached to personal computer for maintaining the records of the samples obtained. It can also be connected with a serial and/or a parallel printer. It counts seeds in a given weight or volume quickly and accurately. Electromagnetic vibratory action moves the seed upward along with the track. Seeds are arranged into a single line before they are discharged. As the seed speeds down the chute, it is detected by a solid state sensor.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Location: UK

Our seed dryers are designed and engineered for precision of temperature, humidity and airflow for drying all kinds of seed. The machine is equipped with dynamically balanced high capacity fans that generate hot air for quick and efficient drying of the seed. The construction of the machine ensures that there is no air contamination and the quality of seeds remains unaffected.

Seed dryer Ernie Willson Gardening 25 08-08-2009 03:12 PM
if you will scold Oscar's stable to dusts, it will incredibly irrigate the dryer Donovan Riemann, RCMP United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:20 PM
one more shallow blunt printer improves stickers throughout Lloyd's bad dryer U. MacGinnity United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:47 AM
if you'll care Jonathan's ceiling with farmers, it'll inadvertently comb the dryer Alexandra United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:41 AM
yesterday Mohammar will cover the painter, and if Oliver wistfully believes it too, the dryer wi Kouyu Gardening 0 22-04-2004 12:02 AM