GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Small front garden - what to plant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/185629-small-front-garden-what-plant.html)

davver79 11-07-2009 02:20 PM

Small front garden - what to plant?

Hi,

I have a terrace house with a small front garden approx 1m x 4m. There is a small wall at the front just under 1m high. I have a problem with cats so I want to grow perennial plants, and plants that will cover the ground, leaving little bare soil. I like cottage gardens and that's the look I want, but every time I go to the garden centre I just get overwhelmed and come away with nothing! If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks!

Billy[_7_] 11-07-2009 06:09 PM

Small front garden - what to plant?

In article ,
davver79 wrote:

Hi,

I have a terrace house with a small front garden approx 1m x 4m. There
is a small wall at the front just under 1m high. I have a problem with
cats so I want to grow perennial plants, and plants that will cover the
ground, leaving little bare soil. I like cottage gardens and that's the
look I want, but every time I go to the garden centre I just get
overwhelmed and come away with nothing! If anyone has any suggestions I
would be most grateful. Thanks!

What kind of soil? How much sun (full, partial, none, all day, half day,
ect)?

Browse
http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html
and
http://www.motherearthnews.com/print...aspx?id=116778
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 12-07-2009 12:17 AM

davver79 wrote:
Hi,

I have a terrace house with a small front garden approx 1m x 4m. There
is a small wall at the front just under 1m high. I have a problem with
cats so I want to grow perennial plants, and plants that will cover
the ground, leaving little bare soil. I like cottage gardens and
that's the look I want, but every time I go to the garden centre I
just get overwhelmed and come away with nothing! If anyone has any
suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks!

Where are you? What is the climate? What is the aspect of the garden?

David