Old 12-07-2009, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ants?

We have quite a lot of ants in our garden. I've always thought of them
as benign, and just ignored them. But, earlier this year, a basil was
mysteriously cut off, right at ground level. Now, I see a collard
dying, with a great activity of small black ants right at the base of
the stem. It looks like they're attacking the plant.

Do ants do this? Is there a way to control them?

Thanks,
George
Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George wrote in message
We have quite a lot of ants in our garden. I've always thought of them
as benign, and just ignored them. But, earlier this year, a basil was
mysteriously cut off, right at ground level. Now, I see a collard
dying, with a great activity of small black ants right at the base of
the stem. It looks like they're attacking the plant.

Do ants do this? Is there a way to control them?

I found this website interesting.

http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Ants

Good luck. I find black ants a nuisance.

The Ranger

Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"George" wrote in message
We have quite a lot of ants in our garden. I've always thought of them
as benign, and just ignored them. But, earlier this year, a basil was
mysteriously cut off, right at ground level. Now, I see a collard
dying, with a great activity of small black ants right at the base of
the stem. It looks like they're attacking the plant.

Do ants do this? Is there a way to control them?

Thanks,
George

After verifying after digging, I've found ants to be the cause of grass
dying in drought areas. They are attacking the roots for water. That is,
if sparingly watering such areas during a drought.

If a drought is suspect or anticipated or ongoing in your area, just stop
watering the grass period. The grass will grow dormant quickly if drought
tolerant. The ants will still attack the roots, but won't adequately
support the colony if you stop watering period. Ants, then dig deeper, and
go dormant themselves. The subject ants here are fire ants.

In your case, you can divert ants eating your garden by giving them another
food supply nearby. Then, rid the colony in its entirety by many methods.
Don't attempt this in the garden proper. Be smarter than the ants.
--
Dave

Old 13-07-2009, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George wrote:
We have quite a lot of ants in our garden. I've always thought of them
as benign, and just ignored them. But, earlier this year, a basil was
mysteriously cut off, right at ground level. Now, I see a collard
dying, with a great activity of small black ants right at the base of
the stem. It looks like they're attacking the plant.

Do ants do this? Is there a way to control them?

I don't know about outside, but I've found that those ant baits with
the channels for the ants to enter work great indoors. Every time I've
used them the ants were gone in a day, amazing... Might be worth a shot
outdoors as I see no real reason for it not to have some effect.
Otherwise find the ant hill and do something nasty to it, even boiling
water works.

Not a clue what damage the ants are really doing.

Jeff

Thanks,
George

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM