Old 13-07-2009, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default propping up plants

I've had my fair share of broken branches on the tomato, pepper and
squash.

Not knowing what I'm doing, I've been taping a splint (usually a
small bit of branch) with masking tape after straightening the partial
break. That seemed to work for the tomato and squash and not for the
blueberry. Don't know yet on the pepper. Is there something more I
should be doing, or should this just be preventative maintenance? Not
that I've heard of pepper cages. My staking so far been on the what's
laying about the yard!

Jeff
Old 13-07-2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , jeff
wrote:

I've had my fair share of broken branches on the tomato, pepper and
squash.

Not knowing what I'm doing, I've been taping a splint (usually a
small bit of branch) with masking tape after straightening the partial
break. That seemed to work for the tomato and squash and not for the
blueberry. Don't know yet on the pepper. Is there something more I
should be doing, or should this just be preventative maintenance? Not
that I've heard of pepper cages. My staking so far been on the what's
laying about the yard!

Jeff

I use stuff like this sometimes for many years.

http://www.nextag.com/velcro-plant-ties/products-html

Should be in many stores this with bamboo small stakes does the job.
But I have to find and get them ready for next year.

Bill whose Dad tied up plants with old nylon stockings.

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/
Old 14-07-2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 13, 3:58*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
In article , jeff
wrote:

[...]

Don’t these damage the stem as the plant moves about?
Kind of like wrapping them in sand paper.

I’ve been using the plastic bags that my groceries come in.
Been considering using tape.
Old 14-07-2009, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. I must say that so far the tape "works". Cheap too.

Jeff
Old 14-07-2009, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

jeff said:

I've had my fair share of broken branches on the tomato, pepper and
squash.

Not knowing what I'm doing, I've been taping a splint (usually a
small bit of branch) with masking tape after straightening the partial
break. That seemed to work for the tomato and squash and not for the
blueberry. Don't know yet on the pepper. Is there something more I
should be doing, or should this just be preventative maintenance? Not
that I've heard of pepper cages. My staking so far been on the what's
laying about the yard!

Those cheap tomato cages they sell are totally inadequate for tomatoes
but make *great* supports for peppers and eggplants.

I mean the ones like this:
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-31924/Detail

As far as tomatoes go, I stake most of my plants and cage the rest
with these bad boys:

http://www.tomatocages.com/

(Warning, there is an animated gif on this page. At least it's a useful
animation, as it show how the cages easily fold flat for storage.)

I'd like to get just two more of the large or medium six footers...but
they only ship in groups of six.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 14-07-2009, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Those cheap tomato cages they sell are totally inadequate for tomatoes
but make *great* supports for peppers and eggplants.

I use the cages for tomatoes too, but I put them upside down (secured with
lawn staples), and tie them together at the top, which gives them an extra
12-18" of height. Many of the plants still are way too tall (some of my
heirlooms are now about eight feet tall!), but I can't see spending $10-15
on a single cage. (I have about 60 tomato plants.)
--S.

Old 15-07-2009, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:19:35 -0600, "Suzanne D."
wrote:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Those cheap tomato cages they sell are totally inadequate for tomatoes
but make *great* supports for peppers and eggplants.

I use the cages for tomatoes too, but I put them upside down (secured with
lawn staples), and tie them together at the top, which gives them an extra
12-18" of height. Many of the plants still are way too tall (some of my
heirlooms are now about eight feet tall!), but I can't see spending $10-15
on a single cage. (I have about 60 tomato plants.)
--S.

Cattle panels. Bolt cutters. Tee posts. Wire. Multi purpose and
great for tomatoes, climbing cukes, etc. especially the heirlooms.

cattle+panels+tomatoes

Nice idea.

I had thought of the tee posts and welded wire, but the welded wire I
see is usually flimsy and I was thinking more posts to make up for that.

Not sure how far I'll have to go to get a cattle panel as I'm a city
slicker, but they look perfect. Lots of great ideas in your links,
thanks! Now, I'm thinking greenhouse!

Jeff

http://www.foundationfarm.com/tomatopanels.htm

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...582022244.html

http://www.ericsprojects.com/?page_id=228

http://erincovert.wordpress.com/2008...-cattle-panel/

Charlie

Propping up a young tree (in slightly unusual circumstances) Childbirth Gardening 6 11-08-2012 04:47 AM
Colorful Tropical Foliage Plants – Croton Plants And Caladium Plants BobWalsh Gardening 2 04-10-2011 12:31 PM
Old Enamel Signs propping up compost heap! Old Advertising Marketplace 0 01-06-2007 12:18 PM
Plants, Plants, Plants! Ali Khan Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Plants, Plants, Plants Ali Khan Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM