Old 20-07-2009, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Need Plant ID

Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson

Old 20-07-2009, 11:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In message ,
Billy writes
Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

1) Was it the borage or the allium (might be onion) that you wanted
identified?
2) Looks like Lychnis coronaria (rose campion)
3/5) The daisy in the foreground might Silybum marianum; is that a
Helianthus behind it?
4) Canna?
6/7) I presume that this is an Echinacea
8
9/10) I won't argue with the Centranthus and Solidago.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-07-2009, 11:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Billy wrote:

Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=MSazeq4CIlMDi2dJTAjqiIh4l5k2TGxc

Looks like borage and onion perhaps Egyptian walking onion.

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=jaGMvrYPhKsd1k5rodA1J4h4l5k2TGxc

Young coneflower.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/
Old 20-07-2009, 11:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Billy said:

Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

The green plant with the serrated leaves?

Looks rather nettle-ish.

Maybe hemp-nettle? Were there any blooming parts on those green
bud-clusters? Are the stems square?
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 20-07-2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message ,
Billy writes
Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

1) Was it the borage or the allium (might be onion) that you wanted
identified?
2) Looks like Lychnis coronaria (rose campion)
3/5) The daisy in the foreground might Silybum marianum; is that a
Helianthus behind it?
4) Canna?
6/7) I presume that this is an Echinacea
8
9/10) I won't argue with the Centranthus and Solidago.

The unknown plants are pictured in the folder "Unknown Plant".

Old 20-07-2009, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...A1J4h4l5k2TGxc

Wrong folder Bill. Click on the "Unknown Plant" folder.
I'll breakout the tripod today and try to get some clearer shots.

Old 20-07-2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In message ,
Billy writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message ,
Billy writes
Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

1) Was it the borage or the allium (might be onion) that you wanted
identified?
2) Looks like Lychnis coronaria (rose campion)
3/5) The daisy in the foreground might Silybum marianum; is that a
Helianthus behind it?
4) Canna?
6/7) I presume that this is an Echinacea
8
9/10) I won't argue with the Centranthus and Solidago.

The unknown plants are pictured in the folder "Unknown Plant".

Does it show up in some browsers? With this hint I find it under albums.

URL:http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=FKOnmuE51SL4BA70I8Y8pA%3D%3D

The first two photographs look like Urtica urens (small, dwarf or annual
nettle). The third is a willow herb - I can't guarantee being able to
identify the species even if I could see the details of the flowers.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-07-2009, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...A1J4h4l5k2TGxc

Wrong folder Bill. Click on the "Unknown Plant" folder.
I'll breakout the tripod today and try to get some clearer shots.

Plant #3 has a basil ist look look to it. 1 and 2 a strawberry feel.
Not very helpful I am sure.

Bill

Old 20-07-2009, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In message ,
Billy writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message ,
Billy writes
Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

The third is a willow herb -

appears similiar to our Fireweed here in WA State.

Old 20-07-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In message ss, gunner
writes

In message ,
Billy writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message ,
Billy writes
Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

The third is a willow herb -

appears similiar to our Fireweed here in WA State.

It's not fireweed (Chamaerion angustifolium), nor great willowherb
(Epilobium hirsutum). Fringed (or American) willow herb (Epilobium
ciliatum) seems a plausible identification, but there are 44 species
present in North America fide USDA.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 20-07-2009, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson

The stem looks like the wild amaranth we have in the southeast US, but the
leaves are much more serrated.
Steve

Old 20-07-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Billy said:

Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

The green plant with the serrated leaves?

Looks rather nettle-ish.

I agree

Maybe hemp-nettle? Were there any blooming parts on those green
bud-clusters? Are the stems square?

It looks like the bloom on the multiclustered plant are petal-less.
Yes, it has a square stem with a groove running lengthwise down the
middle of it.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In message ss, gunner
writes

In message ,
Billy writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message ,
Billy writes
Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

The third is a willow herb -

appears similiar to our Fireweed here in WA State.

It's not fireweed (Chamaerion angustifolium), nor great willowherb
(Epilobium hirsutum). Fringed (or American) willow herb (Epilobium
ciliatum) seems a plausible identification, but there are 44 species
present in North America fide USDA.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Yes, I know it is not, CA is not known to have Fireweed.

Old 20-07-2009, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

[...]

I don't see the response I made before Newswatcher crashed so I'll
respond again.

You correctly identified both. The willow herb is Hoary Willowherb.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...roducts/new/wi
llowherb01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mdidea.com/products/new/new093paper.h
tml&h=424&w=376&sz=36&tbnid=rL-mWKae_FdRLM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=112&prev=/image
s%3Fq%3Dwillow%2Bherb&usg=___CdqucMzrvvsW8xOTx1t2D fxAR4=&ei=YMRkSreXHozQs
QPV6IVn&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image.

I was getting ready to pull them up, which I hate to do until I know
what it is. Thank you for staying my hand, as I have a medecinal herb
garden, and these two are most welcome to stay.

I am indebted to you.

Old 20-07-2009, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

[...]

Hoary willow-herb would have been well down my list of guesses, but
photographs can be misleading.

These photographs at Flikr appear to be correctly identified.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1423038...n/photostream/

Here, E. parviflorum is "easily" identified; the flowers are
actinomorphic (therefore not Chamaerion angustifolium); the flowers are
relatively small (therefore not E. hirsutum); and the stems and leaves
are prominently hoary (therefore not E. montanum or E. lanceolatum). In
addition to being hoary, it is additionally distinguished from other
erect growing willow herbs (E. ciliatum, E. obscurum, E. tetragonum and
E. roseum) by having a four-lobed rather than clavate stigma; the
sessile nature of the leaves further distinguishes it from E. roseum.
(I'm currently struggling to identify two, I think, further species of
willowherb from among E. ciliatum, E. obscurum and E. tetragonum.) But I
don't know what other species come in the mix in your neck of the woods,
whereever that may be.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley