GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cherry tomato plant pruning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/185901-cherry-tomato-plant-pruning.html)

Martin Riddle 22-07-2009 02:20 AM

Cherry tomato plant pruning

Hi all,

I'm new to growing tomatoes and I have a question on pruning.
These plants are Husky cherry tomatoes and Cherry 100 tomatoes. When is
a good time to start pruning.
These started a little late and are about 3' tall. I see 2 have 2
stems. I have yet to look for suckers.
Right now they have started flowering and 2 have some fruit. Whets a
good height for these guys.

From what I can gather these are indeterminate plants.

Any insight is appreciated.

Martin

Billy[_7_] 22-07-2009 06:57 AM

Cherry tomato plant pruning

In article ,
"Martin Riddle" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to growing tomatoes and I have a question on pruning.
These plants are Husky cherry tomatoes and Cherry 100 tomatoes. When is
a good time to start pruning.
These started a little late and are about 3' tall. I see 2 have 2
stems. I have yet to look for suckers.
Right now they have started flowering and 2 have some fruit. Whets a
good height for these guys.

From what I can gather these are indeterminate plants.

Any insight is appreciated.

Martin

IIRC, no difference was found in crop production between pruned and
unpruned tomato plants.
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson

Suzanne D.[_2_] 22-07-2009 09:58 AM

Cherry tomato plant pruning

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Martin Riddle" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to growing tomatoes and I have a question on pruning.
These plants are Husky cherry tomatoes and Cherry 100 tomatoes. When is
a good time to start pruning.
These started a little late and are about 3' tall. I see 2 have 2
stems. I have yet to look for suckers.
Right now they have started flowering and 2 have some fruit. Whets a
good height for these guys.

From what I can gather these are indeterminate plants.

Any insight is appreciated.

Martin

IIRC, no difference was found in crop production between pruned and
unpruned tomato plants.

I just get rid of anything that is dead or that is seriously crowding out
the fruits. I never follow a plan and I get hundreds of tomatoes every
summer. I leave the suckers on too--just push the extra branches back into
the cages. More tomatoes for me!
--S.

Martin Riddle 23-07-2009 01:45 AM

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm new to growing tomatoes and I have a question on pruning.
These plants are Husky cherry tomatoes and Cherry 100 tomatoes. When
is a good time to start pruning.
These started a little late and are about 3' tall. I see 2 have 2
stems. I have yet to look for suckers.
Right now they have started flowering and 2 have some fruit. Whets a
good height for these guys.

From what I can gather these are indeterminate plants.

Any insight is appreciated.

Martin

Thanks to all for the insight.

Cheers

Billy[_7_] 23-07-2009 06:52 PM

Cherry tomato plant pruning

In article ,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Martin Riddle" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to growing tomatoes and I have a question on pruning.
These plants are Husky cherry tomatoes and Cherry 100 tomatoes. When is
a good time to start pruning.
These started a little late and are about 3' tall. I see 2 have 2
stems. I have yet to look for suckers.
Right now they have started flowering and 2 have some fruit. Whets a
good height for these guys.

From what I can gather these are indeterminate plants.

Any insight is appreciated.

Martin

IIRC, no difference was found in crop production between pruned and
unpruned tomato plants.

Days to harvest, Huskey Cherry Tomato - 68, Sweet 100 - 65
Generally, early season varieties (less than 70 days to harvest) do not
require pruning.
See: http://kcgardens.kansascity.com/node/2081
This gets into quantity of harvest (think supermarkets) but doesn't
address quality (think garden).