GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Increase potato yield, how? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/186031-increase-potato-yield-how.html)

Darrell Ulm 27-07-2009 03:30 AM

Increase potato yield, how?

Hello,

Tried to grow potato plants this year, and worked out pretty well. Any
good way to increase yield in a small space 10'x5'. Is it better to
bury deep all at once or bury the plant a little at a time, or should
mounded hills be used. I know people all use different methods.

Thanks!

Bud 27-07-2009 05:35 PM

Increase potato yield, how?

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:30:30 -0700, Darrell Ulm wrote:
I know people all use different methods.

With that 10X5 plot I'd make 5 rows using the ten foot length. Dig a foot
deep trench, put a potato in firmly into the ground, one eye, cover with
an inch of soil. Hill until soil is level. as the potato vine comes up
start applying hay around them. Water well, takes a lot of water for
potatoes. Get a chance add some sand to your soil, a lot, to let the
potatoes have room to grow. Compost doesn't hurt either.
--
Bud

Bobo 28-07-2009 12:12 AM

Increase potato yield, how?

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:30:30 -0700 (PDT), Darrell Ulm
wrote:

Hello,

Tried to grow potato plants this year, and worked out pretty well. Any
good way to increase yield in a small space 10'x5'. Is it better to
bury deep all at once or bury the plant a little at a time, or should
mounded hills be used. I know people all use different methods.

Thanks!

Google "potato grow box". I make mine out of old pallets.