Old 29-07-2009, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato Harvest

Starting to enjoy natures bounty... :-)

I've been pulling yellow cherry tomatoes off all week. Very tasty though he
skin is a bit tough.

I took a medium sized yellow heirloom (been ripening in a paper bag) and
will take a large red big boy off the vine this evening to make Caprese.

Hope the fruit on my Brandywine heirloom starts to ripen soon.

Jon

Old 29-07-2009, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:01:50 -0400, "Zeppo" wrote:

Starting to enjoy natures bounty... :-)

I've been pulling yellow cherry tomatoes off all week. Very tasty though he
skin is a bit tough.

I took a medium sized yellow heirloom (been ripening in a paper bag) and
will take a large red big boy off the vine this evening to make Caprese.

Hope the fruit on my Brandywine heirloom starts to ripen soon.

I hope the fruit on any of my tomato plants starts to appear soon!
We've had a lousy summer so far for any of the heat loving vegetables,
tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 29-07-2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Zeppo" wrote in message
Starting to enjoy natures bounty... :-)

Isn't it great? I am bringing in about 20 tomatoes daily now. We are
almost having trouble keeping up with them. (There's a box of eight red and
yellow tomatoes on the desk right now that didn't get eaten the last few
days. The peach, orange, and white ones go fast, so we are always left with
the red and yellow.) Every time I pull off handfuls of small tomatoes, I
get bummed because the new fruit productions doesn't appear to be keeping up
with the harvest, so I know eventually we are going to run out!
--S.

Old 29-07-2009, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , rossr35253
@forteinc.com says...

I hope the fruit on any of my tomato plants starts to appear soon!
We've had a lousy summer so far for any of the heat loving vegetables,
tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West

We're in London ON and IIRC one degree south of you and I'd guess 40K
away.

I feel your pain.

Our cold weather crops are doing better than usual and we're planting
more for the fall

Tomatoes etc. are 2 to 3 weeks behind. We're seeing fruiting though the
fruits seem to be marking time due to the cool and *dim*. There hasn't
been much sun this year.

Old 30-07-2009, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Balvenieman" wrote in message
Wow; it's just about over he Peninsular Florida, USDA zone 9.
Greens and curcurbits long gone; eggplant, peppers (Jalapeño, California
Wonder), okra, collards and peanuts still going strong; red beefsteak
tomatoes still growing apace and blossoming but not setting much fruit;
patio tomatoes done and gone; lima beans, snap beans and cowpeas done
and gone.

Why are the continuous-bearing plants like tomatoes and cukes done in your
area? Too hot?
--S.

Old 30-07-2009, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:51:58 -0600, "Suzanne D."
wrote:

"Zeppo" wrote in message
Starting to enjoy natures bounty... :-)

Isn't it great? I am bringing in about 20 tomatoes daily now. We are
almost having trouble keeping up with them. (There's a box of eight red and
yellow tomatoes on the desk right now that didn't get eaten the last few
days. The peach, orange, and white ones go fast, so we are always left with
the red and yellow.) Every time I pull off handfuls of small tomatoes, I
get bummed because the new fruit productions doesn't appear to be keeping up
with the harvest, so I know eventually we are going to run out!
--S.

That's simply cruel, posting that kind of information where the no
tomato people can read it ;-).
The only plant that has any fruit is a volunteer that I didn't have
the heart to till under this spring. I have no idea what variety it
is, only that it should be an heirloom as that's the only kind we
grow.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 30-07-2009, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Balvenieman" wrote in message
"Suzanne D." wrote:

Too hot?

Yeah, basically. Long, hot humid days and nights.

Where I live (southern Utah) we get really hot days (about 105 this week),
so I sprinkle my tomatoes during the hottest art of the day, to cool them
down and fool them into setting fruit, But it's very dry here, so the
leaves evaporate right away and there is no threat of mold. I guess with
you being in Florida, that wouldn't work due to the humidity and possibility
of fungus.
--S.

Old 30-07-2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Balvenieman" wrote in message
m...
"Zeppo" wrote:

Starting to enjoy natures bounty... :-)

Wow; it's just about over he Peninsular Florida, USDA zone 9.
Greens and curcurbits long gone; eggplant, peppers (Jalapeño, California
Wonder), okra, collards and peanuts still going strong; red beefsteak
tomatoes still growing apace and blossoming but not setting much fruit;
patio tomatoes done and gone; lima beans, snap beans and cowpeas done
and gone. Will replant peanuts and cowpeas in vacant beds but likely
they'll be turned under before they amount to much in order to make room
for fall planting of "English" garden peas (Little Marvel). When tomato
blossom drop becomes a "problem" (any day now), I'll layer a couple of
canes so they'll root to make fall tomatoes come Nov/Dec.
Last season's container-grown bell peppers and eggplant
overwintered so they fruited very early, as did the "Little Marvel"
peas, which also overwintered. From-the-vine peas and a Samuel Adams
make a wonderful Feb/Mar morning treat! I had to cover those plants, as
well as an assortment of "greens" but needed no supplemental heat. This
year, I'm going to see whether I can shepherd the bed-grown eggplant and
bell peppers through the winter. Jalapeños are grown as perennials, but
protected from temperatures in mid-40s or lower.

Makes sense. I'm in USDA Zone 7 (SE Pennsylvania) and am just getting ripe
yields and the folks in Canada are just getting first fruits appearing.

Newbie question, what is the problem with tomato blossom drop?

Jon

Old 31-07-2009, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Balvenieman wrote:

"Zeppo" wrote:

Newbie question, what is the problem with tomato blossom drop?

Oh, it's generally believed that prolonged exposure to high
temperatures causes tomato blossoms to drop off instead of setting
fruit. However "prolonged exposure" and "high temperatures" seem to be
subjective terms among gardeners as well as among tomatoes, it seems. If
you search the Web, you may find some actual data on the subject.
Off-and-on, blossom drop has been the subject of much discussion on
gardening forums.

In http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1624.html
it was reported that, "Blossom drop can occur in early spring when
daytime temperatures are warm, but night temperatures fall below 55
degrees F as well as in summer, when days are above 90 degrees F and
nights above 76 degrees F."

Have you read differently?
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.
~Channing E. Phillips

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Old 31-07-2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Balvenieman wrote:

"Zeppo" wrote:

Newbie question, what is the problem with tomato blossom drop?

Oh, it's generally believed that prolonged exposure to high
temperatures causes tomato blossoms to drop off instead of setting
fruit. However "prolonged exposure" and "high temperatures" seem to be
subjective terms among gardeners as well as among tomatoes, it seems.

A little while back, I posted about my tomato plants that were growing
vigorously but not setting fruit. We had a very hot June, 90s almost
every day. People here mentioned the heat problem.

After things cooled down, the plants began to set fruit. There're now
about 50 green tomatoes. A bit delayed, but there should be some good
eating down the line.

Brian

--
Day 179 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project