Old 15-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Registered User

Default Chilis

i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies! They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?
please help!
Old 15-08-2009, 10:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Georgina7 wrote:
i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall
healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies!
They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?

I don't know anything about them, but I suspect this is temperature
related. You may wish to give some more climate data so someone else can
offer an informed opinion.

Jeff

please help!

Old 15-08-2009, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Georgina7

you have to speak to them in spanish... ORALE MI CUATE!!!!!!!
Old 15-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Mumbai, the tropical west coast of India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgina7 View Post
i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies! They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?
please help!
Chillies are just like tomatoes in their cultural requirements. You need to apply a chemical fertiliser containing higher ratio of phosphate to get good flowering and fruiting. India we grow vast quantity of chillies which are by and large sun dried and exported either as whole are powdered. If your plant is too leafy it may be getting too much of nitrogenous feed. Chillies need maximum sun and regular watering. In our farms we water them every five days. I use single super phosphate. Organic farmers use bone meal. Now that is your choice.
Old 15-08-2009, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Georgina7.4fc1bc6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall
healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies!
They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?

please help!

Temperature.

We've just started to get +25C or better days these past couple of
weeks and ours started to blossom madly and set fruit.

London ON Canada

Old 15-08-2009, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:15:26 +0100, Georgina7
wrote:

i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall
healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies!
They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?

please help!

Chilies require much heat and sun. I see by your headers you are
located in an area that reportedly has a paucity of both.
Our chili plants normally produce more than we can use but this summer
has been relatively cool and wet and the chilies have failed to set
fruit. We have in the past, during cool damp summers, used a cloche
over our chilies and it has definitely helped. Just haven't gotten
around to it this year but, we still have lots of dried and pickled
chilies from last year.
You might try an experiment on one of your plants. Tie a big, clear
plastic bag over the plant, in effect making a mini greenhouse and see
if that improves its performance.

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 15-08-2009, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Georgina7" wrote in message

i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall
healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies!
They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?

please help!

Next year, try one of the rocotto ( black seed) chile for your climate

http://www.thechileman.org/results.p...=Any&genus=Any
or http://tinyurl.com/n2wlky

http://rocoto.com/Growing%20General.html

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/growing.html

Old 15-08-2009, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bud Bud is offline

Georgina7 wrote:

i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall
healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies!
They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?

please help!

They take warm days, above 80 F and warm nights, preferred is above 70 F.
HTH
--
signature goes here
Old 22-08-2009, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Georgina7" wrote in message

i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall
healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies!
They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?

please help!

Don't forget fertilizer and check for insect pests like whitefly. ;-)

--
Georgina7

Old 22-08-2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"D. Arlington" wrote:

"Georgina7" wrote in message

i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall
healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies!
They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?

please help!

Don't forget fertilizer and check for insect pests like whitefly. ;-)

--
Georgina7

With sufficient water and fertilizer a plant may not feel the need to
set fruit. Make sure that the surface soil is dry in your pots before
you water, and "IF" you fertilize (at this time of the year), use a 0 -
10 - 10 (preferably organic).
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm

Old 24-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Rosas View Post
On Aug 15, 3:15*am, Georgina7
wrote:
i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall
healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies!
They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?

please help!

--
Georgina7

you have to speak to them in spanish... ORALE MI CUATE!!!!!!!
estoy hablando en dos idiomas a estos tios y no hace nada
Old 27-08-2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I am living in the north east corner of Wisconsin. The only way I can get a
decent pepper crop is to plant the seedlings in black 2 gallon nursery pots
and keep them on a south facing concrete wall, which acts as a heat
reservoir through most of the night. I still end up brining them into the
porch to get the fruit to ripen. Its fixing to be about that time.

Old 22-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Registered User

A chili plant is like a beautiful woman. You have to make it feel really special and talk nice to it. Keep it fed and watered and not too hot and you'll get some great chilis.

Container size for chilis and tomatillos Stan Goodman Edible Gardening 2 27-05-2004 09:10 PM
Jalapeno chilis Jeremy Lunn Australia 1 27-12-2003 10:32 AM
How do I use/store my red chilis? Kevin Miller Edible Gardening 5 29-09-2003 05:32 AM
Storing chilis? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 9 22-08-2003 09:12 PM
harvesting chilis Neil Catley Edible Gardening 19 19-07-2003 04:12 AM