GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato Seeds Lifespan? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/186550-tomato-seeds-lifespan.html)

Karen Rodgers 15-08-2009 08:34 PM

Tomato Seeds Lifespan?

Hi,

I was cleaning out some drawers and I found a packet of tomato seeds
from 1991. Are they still viable?

If they are, is August a good time to start tomatoes in La Mesa, Ca?

Thank you for your time,

Karen R.

Gary Woods 15-08-2009 08:46 PM

Tomato Seeds Lifespan?

Karen Rodgers wrote:

I was cleaning out some drawers and I found a packet of tomato seeds
from 1991. Are they still viable?

There's a decent chance, if you really want to keep that variety, and don't
have much to lose if they don't germinate.

I can't advise on Left Coast planting times, though.

Thos 17-08-2009 01:33 AM

Tomato Seeds Lifespan?

The seeds will probably be fine. Not clear on what zone you're in, but what
the heck. Plant them and go for it.
I remember reading an article about some USDA office that had seeds in a
drawer of a desk that had been there since the '40's. No refrigeration, no
nothing. The seeds were over 80% viable. Go for it!

zxcvbob 22-08-2009 02:21 AM

Tomato Seeds Lifespan?

Karen Rodgers wrote:
Hi,

I was cleaning out some drawers and I found a packet of tomato seeds
from 1991. Are they still viable?

If they are, is August a good time to start tomatoes in La Mesa, Ca?

Thank you for your time,

Karen R.

Tomato seeds are good for about 7 years. After that, they start to
degrade, but I'll bet a few of them are still OK. (just might not have
a lot of vigor)

August is a terrible time to start them. Wait until March. :-)

Bob