Old 17-08-2009, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Marigolds and cross pollination

I grew three colors of small Marigold this year (Yellow, Orange and
Orange/Red bi-color). The seed heads from the three different colors
have been saved separately; all yellow seed heads in one bag, orange in
another etc. Next year when I plant the new seed can I expect the sead
heads from the orange flowers to produce orange flowers, and the yellow
to only produce yellow etc., or will the colors be all mixed up? The
different color flowers were planted about thirty feet apart.

TIA,
EJ in NJ
Old 17-08-2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On 8/17/2009 5:36 AM, EJ Willson wrote:
I grew three colors of small Marigold this year (Yellow, Orange and
Orange/Red bi-color). The seed heads from the three different colors
have been saved separately; all yellow seed heads in one bag, orange in
another etc. Next year when I plant the new seed can I expect the sead
heads from the orange flowers to produce orange flowers, and the yellow
to only produce yellow etc., or will the colors be all mixed up? The
different color flowers were planted about thirty feet apart.

TIA,
EJ in NJ

Since many marigolds are already hybrids, you are unlikely to get the
same flowers that you got this year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Cucubits and cross pollination - help Kitanda Edible Gardening 9 04-06-2010 01:06 AM
Marigolds and cross pollination EJ Willson Gardening 2 17-08-2009 06:02 PM
Cross pollination? jammer Roses 17 17-05-2003 09:44 AM
Cross-pollination question Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 15-05-2003 01:44 PM
Cross pollination? Sunflower Roses 0 07-05-2003 06:32 PM