GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Worm collecting farms - collecting/harvesting worms? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/186657-re-worm-collecting-farms-collecting-harvesting-worms.html)

anm 19-08-2009 11:27 AM

Worm collecting farms - collecting/harvesting worms?

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:33:09 -0700, Gas Bag wrote:

Okay, here’s what I’ve done to "modify" my worm-collecting-farm. First
up, I’ve used a pitchfork to gently dig and loosen the soil underneath
the worm farm (that has the holes in the bottom, which hopefully they
will crawl up through) I’ve taken the food scraps out, and spread about
10cm or so of loosely packed soil in the bottom of the box, with lots of
leaf litter mixed through to make the soil medium more fibrous. I’ve
then put the food scraps on top of this soil medium, with the damp
Hessian sack on top, with the plastic lid on top of that. I’ve also
taken out a generous proportion of the vegetable scraps (no citrus,
meat, or pineapple at all) and put it in a blender with lots of water.
I had to fill the blender several times, tipping this liquefied
"vegetable juice mix" into a large plastic watering can. I then poured
this blended mix (plus some coffee grounds) through the food scraps,
through the soil layer, then through the holes in the bottom, and into
the loosened soil below. Am I on the right track here?

Sounds almost good enough to eat
Definitely 5* for worms ;)
Should work
a nonny