Old 05-09-2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Any one else have a bad tomato season?

Kris wrote:
Hi all,

I've been accessing my tomato patch this year with dismay. I've had
few tomatoes compared to last year.

What is also puzzling is that some plants are doing much better than
ones right next to it! They all received the same amount of water.

Someone told me there was "tomato blight" (not sure what that is) this
year. We also had a record cold July, which didn't help I'm sure.

Did anyone else experience this?

Kris

I've been having trouble with Late Blight for several years, but usually
manage to get a crop anyway. This year I planted a blight resistant
variety called "Legend". Also I planted "Porter", which doesn't have
any particular disease resistance, but it's supposed to do well in poor
weather. I planted 6 Legends and 5 Porters.

Everything was very late this year. I've picked 6 fruit off Legend so
far, probably will get about 5 or 6 more before they are done. The
plants are eat-up with blight. The Porter plants look gorgeous. No
disease and no insects, but they are a later variety and I haven't
gotten anything off of them yet. They have green tomatoes on 'em, but
not a lot.

Haven't picked a single pepper or eggplant yet. The one jalapeño that
survived the rabbit attack has a few little peppers on it. The ají
peppers are tall and healthy, but no little peppers yet. I'm really
****ed about that because I was growing them for seeds, and there's very
little chance of getting even 1 red fruit before frost. Eggplants just
started blooming. I planted pepinos (Solanum muricatum) this year for
the first time, and they are blooming but no fruit yet. The tomatillos
are covered with empty balloons but no fruit yet. (notice a trend?)

Basically, the whole garden has been a bust this year.

Bob
Old 05-09-2009, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Kris wrote:
[...]

Here in zone 9a our tomatoes totally flopped, we had a number of cherry
toms picked but only a few of the round red regular toms. I'm still
growing Aji Limon de Peru chiles and the plants are gorgeous, damned few
chiles on them though. It has been a wet spring and summer though. The
Aji's should do better when we dry out a little this fall.

Eggplants just
started blooming.

We planted Ping Tung eggplants this year instead of our usually Ichiban.
The Ping Tungs gave us two or three wizened little eggplant fruit and
then died. Next year we go back to Ichiban, they seem better for our
climate. May plant Louisiana Long Green again next year, they do well too.

I planted pepinos (Solanum muricatum) this year for
the first time, and they are blooming but no fruit yet. The tomatillos
are covered with empty balloons but no fruit yet. (notice a trend?)

Basically, the whole garden has been a bust this year.

Bob

We got several pints of green beans in the freezer and also in jars.
Beaucoup sweet chiles and the okra went completely nuts this year.
Everything else sort of failed. Oh well, hope springs eternal in a
gardeners heart, next year will be better and we're already putting in
the fall garden.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Kris wrote:
[...]

No bust here, but things could have been better. The whole region (San
Francisco north bay area - Sonoma County) had late gardens. Our tomatoes
have just started to out pace our ability to eat them. We are in synch
with the cucumbers. Our climbing squash (our favorite), Zucchetta, is
flowering, and the bitter melon is filling in it's trellis. The nights
are staying cool (50F - 55F). Hopefully, we will have about 6 more weeks
of good gardening before we go into gleaning mode.

Most of the large tomatoes (Mortage, Brandywines, and German Striped)
have under performed this year with small fruit and low yields. The
Stupice have earned a permanent place in the garden though. Next year
I'll definitly have at least one "Blondkopftchen" and one "Koralic" for
cherry tomatoes. The Green Zebras haven't done much, and the Marmands
are still green. The San Marzanos are producing well, but I find that I
am not using them as much as I thought I would. Our carrots and beets,
while on the puny side, are tasty and encourage me to plant more.

I think I've worked out a crop rotation for my northerly facing hillside
and have more understanding of where I can grow, and where I can't.

In the meantime, the eats are good. I just wish Sept. could last a few
more months.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:

I've been having trouble with Late Blight for several years, but usually
manage to get a crop anyway

I had a heavy attack of late blight, encouraged by a cold wet summer here
in upstate NY. Got enough tomatos for salad, but not for canning. I got a
few "Silvery Fir Tree" fruits to preserve my seed supply at least.... I'm
going to give the seeds a quick dilute Clorox bath after their usual
fermenting/cleaning.
All my plants are started from seed, but there are apparently enough spores
about, despite my rural location, to infect everything in a year like this.
I'm looking for suitable treatment for next year, with the emphasis on
things that are proven to work. Organic preferred, but....

Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 6, 8:55*am, Gary Woods wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
I've been having trouble with Late Blight for several years, but usually
manage to get a crop anyway

I had a heavy attack of late blight, encouraged by a cold wet summer here
in upstate NY. *Got enough tomatos for salad, but not for canning. *I got a
few "Silvery Fir Tree" fruits to preserve my seed supply at least.... I'm
going to give the seeds a quick dilute Clorox bath after their usual
fermenting/cleaning. *
All my plants are started from seed, but there are apparently enough spores
about, despite my rural location, to infect everything in a year like this.
I'm looking for suitable treatment for next year, with the emphasis on
things that are proven to work. *Organic preferred, but....

Gary,

If there's something I could add to my soil, I'd be much obliged to
hear what it is.

Kris, suddenly wishing she was a Master Gardener

Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

I've been having trouble with Late Blight for several years, but usually
manage to get a crop anyway

I had a heavy attack of late blight, encouraged by a cold wet summer here
in upstate NY. Got enough tomatos for salad, but not for canning. I got a
few "Silvery Fir Tree" fruits to preserve my seed supply at least.... I'm
going to give the seeds a quick dilute Clorox bath after their usual
fermenting/cleaning.
All my plants are started from seed, but there are apparently enough spores
about, despite my rural location, to infect everything in a year like this.
I'm looking for suitable treatment for next year, with the emphasis on
things that are proven to work. Organic preferred, but....

It was a banner year for tomatoes in Seattle because we had a relatively
hot and dry summer. Naturally, I didn't bother with tomatoes because of
my abject failures in previous years. Although I think the rains of
this weekend are about to drown any chance of a good late-season crop.
Right now it looks more like Ithaca rain than Seattle rain.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"Cindy Fuller" wrote in message
In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

I've been having trouble with Late Blight for several years, but usually
manage to get a crop anyway

I had a heavy attack of late blight, encouraged by a cold wet summer here
in upstate NY. Got enough tomatos for salad, but not for canning. I got
few "Silvery Fir Tree" fruits to preserve my seed supply at least.... I'm
going to give the seeds a quick dilute Clorox bath after their usual
fermenting/cleaning.
All my plants are started from seed, but there are apparently enough
spores
about, despite my rural location, to infect everything in a year like
this.
I'm looking for suitable treatment for next year, with the emphasis on
things that are proven to work. Organic preferred, but....

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

It was a banner year for tomatoes in Seattle because we had a relatively
hot and dry summer. Naturally, I didn't bother with tomatoes because of
my abject failures in previous years. Although I think the rains of
this weekend are about to drown any chance of a good late-season crop.
Right now it looks more like Ithaca rain than Seattle rain.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Had a good year in So-Cal. Planted tomatoes with lots letters after the
name. Not as tasty as previous years. I got tired of being hit with blight
or whatever it is. The peppers are still going strong. Going to add more
varieties next year. All in all a very good year.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Had a good year in So-Cal. Planted tomatoes with lots letters after the
name. Not as tasty as previous years. I got tired of being hit with blight
or whatever it is. The peppers are still going strong. Going to add more
varieties next year. All in all a very good year.

Had a so-so year in the eastern PA area. Despite late blight I had a decent
amount of fruit on all 4 plants, but very slow ripening. The only thing that
is producing at an OK rate are my yellow cherry tomatoes. Not sure how much
longer things will keep ripening. Three of the plants are still flowering,
so it's kind of hard to tell. Plus as a novice I don't know whether to call
it a day or just hold on to some hope.

Any opinions from you guys?

Jon

Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Zeppo" wrote:

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Had a good year in So-Cal. Planted tomatoes with lots letters after the
name. Not as tasty as previous years. I got tired of being hit with blight
or whatever it is. The peppers are still going strong. Going to add more
varieties next year. All in all a very good year.

Had a so-so year in the eastern PA area. Despite late blight I had a decent
amount of fruit on all 4 plants, but very slow ripening. The only thing that
is producing at an OK rate are my yellow cherry tomatoes. Not sure how much
longer things will keep ripening. Three of the plants are still flowering,
so it's kind of hard to tell. Plus as a novice I don't know whether to call
it a day or just hold on to some hope.

Any opinions from you guys?

Jon

I am in Zone 5 South East Michigan. My tomatoes were great his year.
Best crop in years. almost all of them blemish free, bug free, sweet and
tasty. I have given up on the larger beefsteaks - the season is a little
two short for this type of tomato in Michigan. It was a cooler than
usual summer this year.

I grew three types of tomatoes from seeds: 10 Roma plants, 10 Bonnie
Best plants and 2 Cherry 100 plants. I grew the Romas and Bonnie best
tomatoes in the main canning garden and the cherry tomatoes in the
kitchen garden.

I have canned so far: 14 pints of basic tomato sauce, 14 pints of tomato
juice and ten pints of whole tomatoes. All of excellent taste, color and
texture - better than anything that is in a typical supermarket.
Tomorrow I will make salsa out of more tomatoes. A very good year for
tomatoes. All for one and all for none other.

But then the topic was "Any one else have a - BAD - tomato season"
So - sorry for responding

Corn - that is another story

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan L. View Post
In article ,
"Zeppo"
wrote:

Cindy

--
[...]

Here in the UK my outdoor tomatoes have all been killed off by late blight, but those in the greenhouse have done reasonably well lots of fruit but are now only starting to ripen.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Zeppo wrote:
Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Had a good year in So-Cal. Planted tomatoes with lots letters after the
name. Not as tasty as previous years. I got tired of being hit with blight
or whatever it is. The peppers are still going strong. Going to add more
varieties next year. All in all a very good year.

Had a so-so year in the eastern PA area. Despite late blight I had a decent
amount of fruit on all 4 plants, but very slow ripening. The only thing that
is producing at an OK rate are my yellow cherry tomatoes. Not sure how much
longer things will keep ripening. Three of the plants are still flowering,
so it's kind of hard to tell. Plus as a novice I don't know whether to call
it a day or just hold on to some hope.

Any opinions from you guys?

Jon

Depends, Also in PA . Our plants had very low yield but the cherry
tomatoes kicked in with the recent hot weather. If the nights stay mild
you can count on more cherry tomatoes.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"George" wrote in message
Zeppo wrote:
Cindy

--
[...]

I might just give up and stop watering them, though it looks like I wont
need to for at least the next 5 days or so.

Fried green tomatoes is now on the menu.

Jon

Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Kris wrote:
Hi all,

I've been accessing my tomato patch this year with dismay. I've had
few tomatoes compared to last year.

What is also puzzling is that some plants are doing much better than
ones right next to it! They all received the same amount of water.

Someone told me there was "tomato blight" (not sure what that is) this
year. We also had a record cold July, which didn't help I'm sure.

Did anyone else experience this?

Kris

Late blight struck ours but many had already ripened by then, or were near
ripe. I canned several dozen quarts, pints and half pints of sauce. I'll
have enough to last us over a year. The freezer is full of greens and
peppers. Also canned many quarts and pints of green and wax beans.

Old 14-09-2009, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"D. Arlington" wrote:

Kris wrote:
Hi all,

I've been accessing my tomato patch this year with dismay. I've had
few tomatoes compared to last year.

What is also puzzling is that some plants are doing much better than
ones right next to it! They all received the same amount of water.

Someone told me there was "tomato blight" (not sure what that is) this
year. We also had a record cold July, which didn't help I'm sure.

Did anyone else experience this?

Kris

Late blight struck ours but many had already ripened by then, or were near
ripe. I canned several dozen quarts, pints and half pints of sauce. I'll
have enough to last us over a year. The freezer is full of greens and
peppers. Also canned many quarts and pints of green and wax beans.

Interesting. I live in an area that isn't great for tomatoes, although
one of the biggest US tomato growing areas is less than 100 miles away.
This year our big tomatoes ripened first, early and often. The first
year I grew big tomatoes, they didn't ripen until November, and they
were horrible ugly due to cracks and deformities. They are perfect this
year.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 14-09-2009, 03:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"Dan Abel" wrote in message
In article ,
"D. Arlington" wrote:

Kris wrote:
[...]

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. Our tomatoes are just finally ripening
and the skins are fairly tough. Long cold summer.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN