Old 21-09-2009, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Wild grape question

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:04:39 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

I'm not very good at taste descriptions so, I'll just say that various
pork cuts and a couple of Muskovy ducks smoked using a mix of wild
grapevines and mulberry were excellent.
Just one warning, be very Very careful pruning out your fence rows.
Poison ivy has a nasty habit of disguising itself and mixing in with
the grapevines ;-(. Don't ask how I know, just say that a 10 day
prednisone regimen did help.

Ross.

Ow. Thanks for the warning!
To date, Poison Ivy has never made an appearance in my yard and I've
never been affected by it when wandering in the "wild".

I know I'm immune to poison oak, but I'd rather not take chances. g
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 21-09-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

The French wine growers have grills on 3" to 4" legs, that they will put
over a fire of grape canes burning/smoldering on the ground and and cook
thin slices of meat.

Sounds good! This weeks smoke came out well. I did it over more mimosa
and a little bit of mesquite. I also made my first batch of Liverwurst
using a modified recipe from Rytek Kutas. It's the gods. :-) I'm trying
to eat more organ meats for health reasons and I like liver sausage
better than plain liver. Heart, I like as is but I brined and smoked
some a couple of weeks ago and it came out almost like lean bacon. ;-d
My Canadian Bacon experiment has been a complete success...

This is fun!

Ob gardening: The only crops I'm growing this year (other than herbs)
are Sunflower Sprouts on my kitchen windowsill. Water is just too
expensive, especially during this very bad and long drought.

The beauty of sprouts is that they are ready to harvest in 5 to 7 days.
Very satisfying as an edible crop that way. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

japanese beetles and wild grape vines songbird[_2_] Edible Gardening 5 16-08-2014 07:56 PM
Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ? MrMe Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2010 12:19 AM
Wild grape vines? ? ? Ray Gardening 5 22-08-2005 03:50 AM
Wild wild rocket Mike Lyle United Kingdom 28 01-08-2004 09:51 PM
Mahonia/oregon grape question TOM KAN PA Gardening 5 17-03-2003 10:08 AM