Old 22-09-2009, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pole Beans

Although I have gardened most of my life this is the first year I have
tried growing pole beans----First I planted to many---Second I have a large
number of over grown pods full of lovely plump beans----Does anyone have a
suggestions or receipt to use these beans or should I simply compost them
seams a shame to waste them... ??

--
Don

Old 22-09-2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Donald Maclean" wrote in message
Although I have gardened most of my life this is the first year I have
tried growing pole beans----First I planted to many---Second I have a
large number of over grown pods full of lovely plump beans----Does anyone
have a suggestions or receipt to use these beans or should I simply
compost them seams a shame to waste them... ??

--
Don

Shell them and cook as you would lima beans. Compost the pods.

Old 23-09-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Donald Maclean" wrote in message

Although I have gardened most of my life this is the first year I have
tried growing pole beans----First I planted to many---Second I have a

large
number of over grown pods full of lovely plump beans----Does anyone have a
suggestions or receipt to use these beans or should I simply compost them
seams a shame to waste them... ??

Big bean pods are more palatable (and easier to cook) when
sliced on the diagonal, e.g. into pieces less than an inch
long and less than one cm wide. Special-purpose machines
for this purpose were common 50 years ago. Some blender
attachments slice beans.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 24-09-2009, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Balvenieman posted this:
"Donald Maclean" wrote:

Does anyone have a
suggestions or receipt to use these beans or should I simply compost them
seams a shame to waste them... ??

Depending on variety, mature pole beans may be allowed to dry in
the pod for use as seed. Mature beans work well as "shelley" beans,
fresh or dried. "Extra" immature-to-moderately-mature pole beans freeze
well; they also dehydrate well, provided that one first freezes them.
Thaw before placing into food dryer, of course.

Never heard of freezing before putting them into the dryer. Why would that be?

BTW, this was my first year for Scarlet Runner Beans - the humming birds
loved the flowers, they were extremely prolific and rather tasty, although I
didn't know what to do with them at first.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 24-09-2009, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wilson wrote:

Never heard of freezing before putting them into the dryer. Why would that be?

I should clarify that I was referring to "snap" or cut beans in the
pod, which have a high water content and a relatively impermeable skin.
As the beans freeze, the water expands enough to break down cell walls
so that they dry more reliably and evenly. Also, freezing can kill
insect eggs and/or larvae that may survive dehydration.

Gotcha, thanks. I don't use a dryer much, although I have one. I remember
stories of my great grandmother who said they strung beans with thread and
hung them in the attic to dry. Now, when I mention that to my mother, she
says I'm mistaken that they spread them out on sheets in the attic.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Old 26-09-2009, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I froze several bags full last weekend and also pickled a few jars.
To pickle I pack them in jars with a head of dried dill seeds, mustard
seeds, a clove of whole peeled garlic, a whole jalapeno, and fill
with boiling mix of half vinegar and water with kosher salt. The
pickled beans are great in bloody marys!