Old 30-09-2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what to do with unwanted turnips?

Two years ago, I bought "kale" seeds in bulk from a local hardware store.
About 2/3 of what came up was turnips, which are usually hot tasting (like a
radish), and I don 't really like that. (yes, I told the store about the
issue at the time)

Well, this year, around August 12 or so, I went back and asked to make
sure that these were new seeds, and not the same old stock. They assured me
they were. Guess what? about 3/4 of what came up were turnip plants, and
only 1/4 were the kale I wanted. Now I have lots of turnips that have
usable roots a bit bigger than nice sized radishes, and loads of greens. (a
groundhog ate my kale off about 4" up from the base - I don't know if they
will recover) The groundhog, of course, didn't bother the turnips at all.

So what can we do with all of these turnip greens? Does anyone have a
good casserole type dish recipe that we can make using a good amount of the
turnip greens? Thanks!

Old 30-09-2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

You can shred them and make a sort of sauerkraut (sauerruben).

Have you tried eating the greens like kale? (the turnip greens will be
stronger)

Bob
Old 30-09-2009, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 30, 11:40*am, "OhioGuy" wrote:
[...]

Try Cooks.com. I've found a number of good recipes for Turnip Greens
there. Good Luck!
Old 30-09-2009, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

Horse or cattle feed.

David
Old 01-10-2009, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Fry them up and enjoy!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Registered User

Smile

zxcvbob;865982]OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

this might help u some
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/503363
http://southernfood.about.com/od/tur...r/bl00311c.htm
cyaaaaa,sockiescat
Old 01-10-2009, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

That sounds like a case of 20/20 hind sight.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 30, 10:40 am, "OhioGuy" wrote:
[...]

Andy comments:

Well, I cook them in water and add a little vinegar or soy sauce.

I also add them to the lettuce in salads. They add dimension to the
taste.

By the way, you can do the same with radishes. If you boil the
radishes
for a fewminutes, they will lose all their "hotness" and are something
like
baby potatoes. The radish greens can be cooked exactly the same as
turnip greens. Also, carrot greens can be prepared that way also, tho
the taste is a bit different.

Turnnips can be boiled and added to anything, since the boiling
removes the "hotness" and the taste is pretty neurtral. Add them to
soups, casseroles, etc, and they will be mistaken for potatoes....if
they are cut up into thumb sized lumps.

Just some suggestion that I use at home...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Eureka, birthplace of the only Asian in America that ever failed
a high school math test.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

i would recommend going to foodnetwork.com to see what they have. it
has helped me out in the past and i do feel that it will be able to
help you out .
Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Turnip greens could be used in a lot of southern dishes, boiled or
diced with other things. You can also cut it up and put it on a
sandwich. Or if all else fails you cans just feed them to animals.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"OhioGuy" wrote in message
news
So what can we do with all of these turnip greens? Does anyone have a
good casserole type dish recipe that we can make using a good amount of
the turnip greens? Thanks!

Check out Italian rape recipes, AKA, cime di rape or Brassica rapa.

Most recipes European or American I have eaten are very similiar; a piece of
pork, a pepper or two, onions, slow cooking.

Radishes or turnips ??? AndyS Edible Gardening 5 20-05-2006 03:01 PM
Anyone got early turnips bolting? Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 09-05-2006 05:31 PM
Problems with turnips. ah United Kingdom 0 20-10-2004 01:23 AM
Turnips Greens Jackee Edible Gardening 2 27-06-2004 08:03 PM
Turnips Steve B United Kingdom 3 08-06-2003 01:44 AM