Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Small white fuzzy gnats

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but this time of year in New
England we get what look like minute balls of white to whitish-blue fuzz
flying about. If you catch one, they look like little black flies with bits
of fuzz around the abdomen. Any ideas what they're called? The air can get
quite busy with them.
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Wilson posted this:

I think I've found it. Woolly Alder Aphid picture at http://tr.im/AtYz and
description at http://tr.im/AtWZ

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 03-10-2009, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 2, 5:58*pm, Wilson wrote:
sometime in the recent past Wilson posted this: Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but this time of year in
New England we get what look like minute balls of white to whitish-blue
fuzz flying about. If you catch one, they look like little black flies
with bits of fuzz around the abdomen. Any ideas what they're called? The
air can get quite busy with them.

I think I've found it. Woolly Alder Aphid picture athttp://tr.im/AtYzand
description athttp://tr.im/AtWZ

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Those are really neat! I wonder if they are in the state of Michigan
too? I've yet to see them.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Wilson wrote:

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but this time of year in New
England we get what look like minute balls of white to whitish-blue fuzz
flying about. If you catch one, they look like little black flies with bits
of fuzz around the abdomen. Any ideas what they're called? The air can get
quite busy with them.

I think those are called white flies.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

Subscribe:

Old 05-10-2009, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Omelet posted this:
In article ,
Wilson wrote:

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but this time of year in New
England we get what look like minute balls of white to whitish-blue fuzz
flying about. If you catch one, they look like little black flies with bits
of fuzz around the abdomen. Any ideas what they're called? The air can get
quite busy with them.

I think those are called white flies.

Yes, that's it, the Latin for which is Paraprociphilus tessellatus

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

brandis said:

On Oct 2, 5:58*pm, Wilson wrote:
sometime in the recent past Wilson posted this: Don't know if this is

the right place
to ask, but this time of year in
New England we get what look like minute balls of white to whitish-

blue
fuzz flying about. If you catch one, they look like little black flies
with bits of fuzz around the abdomen. Any ideas what they're called?

The
air can get quite busy with them.

I think I've found it. Woolly Alder Aphid picture athttp://tr.im/AtYzand
description athttp://tr.im/AtWZ

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Those are really neat! I wonder if they are in the state of Michigan
too? I've yet to see them.

Coming in late (I've been on vacation)...

Yes, there are species of wooly aphids that occur in Michigan.

I've never seen large outbreaks of them, but I have seen them.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored