Old 23-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Kevin Miller

Default Comment on treated wood...

If been into gardening for a while now and watched this group the last
few years... I have not used treated wood for reasons read here and
elsewhere. My only comment is I've also watched hundreds of
landscape/garden shows on HGTV and such and ALWAYS see treated lumber
in and around vegetable gardens - even rail ties quite a bit. I've
always liked the 'look' after a few years of weathering and now am
starting to rethink its use....

Kevin Miller
Zone 5
Old 23-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Tim B

There seems to be a developing consensus that it's good to think about
digging it up out of vegetable gardens or places where children come in
contact with it. Saw a recommendation in a gardening magazine to think
about replacing at least the handrail on treated-lumber decks with the newer
non-arsenic treated lumber.

My personal experience is that my particular soil mostly stays put in a
mound without support and it's easier to work the soil without them. Plus
during a really dry/wet year it lets me lower/raise the bed more easily.

news:83F5A9BC68645E2C.3470C8DB9404DA7B.25704D9DDED ...