Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Is it wise to "stagger" tomato plantings?

I planted all my tomato seeds within a week or two this spring, and planted
the seedlings within a few weeks as well. Over the summer we got tons of
tomatoes, and then despite my misting the plants, our 100+ temperatures in
August sort of wiped them out. The vines are still growing, and now that
temps are cooler we seem to have a little more flowering and fruiting
activity, but overall the vines just look pooped.

I am wondering if there would be any value to starting 1/2 or even 1/3 of my
seeds in the spring, and starting more a month or two later, so that I could
plant some young plants very early, plant some a bit later, and then plant
some in mid-summer. I know that tomatoes generally produce until frost, but
I wonder if I would have more luck with continuously planting new, fresh
plants several times rather than doing one big planting in the spring. Do
younger tomato plants typically have better production than older ones?
--S.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Suzanne D." wrote in message
[...]

Yes, staggering dates can help you get more yield, just remember there are
many other growth regulating factors at play.
Staggering crops as well as varieties can be part of a good game plan.
Here is one link:
http://www.tomatogardeningguru.com/planting.html

Old 07-10-2009, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"Suzanne D." wrote in message
[...]

Staggering plants will avoid the all at once glut that comes when all plants
are in full production all at once. However, how many tomatos do you need at
any one time & what will you do with any excess. I find tha plantingall at
once, I still generally have enough tomatos to scoff right up to they all
start dying off (though I do use a polytunnel as well as outside) and the
peak season glut I can process all at once and sauce or batch freeze and use
later. I might try putting in a plant or 2 a little later this summer & see
if I get it peaking when the others are tailing off a little. I always plant
too many for own use anyway & end up giving some to family & neighbours.

rob

Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Just planted some Oregon spring tomatoes. I wonder if I will get any.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"gunner" wrote in message
Yes, staggering dates can help you get more yield, just remember there
are many other growth regulating factors at play.

Yeah, I know that they do tend to slow down when very hot weather comes, and
that they tend to have growth spurts and "cycles" (most of mine do at
least). But it's good to know that staggered plantings can produce a more
continuous supply. I don't mind freezing the excess when they're in full
fruit, but I hate the times like now when I get two or three tomatoes a day
despite perfectly wonderful weather.
--S.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"Suzanne D." wrote in message
[...]

Same here Rob

For tomatoes, I tend to plant all at once. I do plant different
varieties of tomatoes that come in at different times. Early Girls and
Cherry 100's come in first, Romas come in next then beefsteaks. I am now
into canning/food preserving and I like my tomatoes of each variety to
come in at once. Some tomatoes like the Early Girls and Cherry 100's
produce all summer long. Some tomatoes like the Romas and Beefsteaks
come in all at once. With different varieties I tend get fresh tomatoes
throughout the summer.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"George.com" wrote in message

Staggering plants will avoid the all at once glut that comes when all
plants are in full production all at once. However, how many tomatos do
you need at any one time & what will you do with any excess.

We need a LOT (four kids who'd love to eat tomatoes for every meal and snack
in between), and *IF* there is anything left over, they go to the freezer
until fall when I make them into sauce. HINT: During the peak season this
year, we'd get as many as 60 tomatoes in a single day, yet right now there's
only about two dozen that made it to the freezer. That should answer the
"how many do you need?" question!
--S.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Suzanne D. wrote:
[...]

My experience is that when planting out tomatoes at different times,
they seem to 'catch up' with one another. There seems to be a
magical time (probably related to warm enough weather) when all
these plants take off. I can plant small seedlings from my grow
lights next to store bought larger tomatoes and the seedlings
inevitably catch up and rippen together with the store bought.

You might get better staggering if you select varieties that rippen
early or later.

Planting tomatoes too late may backfire if they don't have time
enough to catch up, and you wind up with a lot of green tomatoes
at the end of the season.

Sherwin
Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"sherwin dubren" wrote in message
-
My experience is that when planting out tomatoes at different times,
they seem to 'catch up' with one another.

I have noticed this too, to a certain extent, but now, as I said, all of my
vines--now 10-12 feet tall and bare of leaves on the bottom four feet--are
flopped over, breaking, spindly, and generally just wiped out. Despite
daily temperatures from 70-90, the tomatoes on them are small and few. I
have to wonder if some fresher vines that were planted three months ago
instead of six months ago might be in better condition and bearing more and
larger.

Planting tomatoes too late may backfire if they don't have time
enough to catch up, and you wind up with a lot of green tomatoes
at the end of the season.

That's generally not a problem around here (southern Utah), since our
growing season starts quite early, and we don't get frost until November or
December.
--S.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:21:20 -0600, "Suzanne D."
wrote:

,,.

I am wondering if there would be any value to starting 1/2 or even 1/3 of my
seeds in the spring, and starting more a month or two later, so that I could
plant some young plants very early, plant some a bit later, and then plant
some in mid-summer. ...

(Central NYS, zone 5+) I've done this with other things, not tomatoes.
(Tomatoes are just a race against time here.) I can't say I understand
our results completely, but it seems like there's a 'sweet spot', sort
of late June to mid-July. Things planted later, even at the end of
July, even well within their time-to-harvest, just don't seem to thrive.
I suspect it has to do with the amount and angle of the sun. It may be
a local thing - August and September can be kind of cloudy here.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 6, 3:21*pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:
[...]

I've done this inadvertently before and in my climate it didn't work
at all. I live in the high desert, very short spring and very very hot
summers. The later plantings did not have enough time to grow and set
fruit before the hot weather inhibited pollination. Nice plants - no
tomatoes. When the temperatures eased off in mid-September they all
started to set fruit again, however there wasn't enough time before
first frost to get much of a crop.

Cyndi
http://www.gardenlist.com
Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
desertgardener wrote:

[...]

Staggered planting would make sense for determinate tomatoes, but not
for indeterminate.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm

Tomato plantings in tubs THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 1 27-07-2005 06:02 PM
PC wise here? Homefinders Permaculture 0 06-12-2003 08:12 AM
Why do grapes crack wise? Cereoid-UR12- Plant Science 5 31-07-2003 06:03 AM
FS: Water-Wise Gardening (New book) Kevin Lawns 0 05-05-2003 11:58 PM
FS: Water-Wise Gardening (New book) Kevin Lawns 0 10-01-2003 04:32 AM