GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garlic "seeds" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/187933-garlic-seeds.html)

geowicz 24-10-2009 11:55 AM

Garlic "seeds"

I have a small quantity of Ukrainian garlic which has produced "seed heads" (small miniature cloves) about 1/4" in diameter. If I planted these would they produced proper garlic next year or am I wasting my time.

[email protected] 24-10-2009 04:30 PM

Garlic "seeds"

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 11:55:44 +0100, geowicz
wrote:

I have a small quantity of Ukrainian garlic which has produced "seed
heads" (small miniature cloves) about 1/4" in diameter. If I planted
these would they produced proper garlic next year or am I wasting my
time.

These "small miniature cloves" (called bulbils) will produce "proper"
garlic but it will take at least two years.
The bulbils look and taste just like miniature garlic cloves. When
planted they will form a `round' or single clove bulb in their first
year. When these 'rounds' are replanted the following year, they will
develop into normal, although possibly smaller, segmented bulbs which
can be harvested in the normal way.

Ross.

Darrell Ulm 09-11-2009 02:51 AM

Garlic "seeds"

wrote:

I have a small quantity of Ukrainian garlic which has produced "seed
heads" (small miniature cloves) about 1/4" in diameter. If I planted
these would they produced proper garlic next year or am I wasting my
time.

These "small miniature cloves" (called bulbils) will produce "proper"
garlic but it will take at least two years.
The bulbils look and taste just like miniature garlic cloves. When
planted they will form a `round' or single clove bulb in their first
year. When these 'rounds' are replanted the following year, they will
develop into normal, although possibly smaller, segmented bulbs which
can be harvested in the normal way.

Ross.

This clears this up. We have garlic everywhere but most are the single
small bulbs. I assume the multi-bulbs require more space? How does one
grow the large variety?

Darrell Ulm

Gary Woods 09-11-2009 12:40 PM

Garlic "seeds"

Darrell Ulm wrote:

This clears this up. We have garlic everywhere but most are the single
small bulbs. I assume the multi-bulbs require more space? How does one
grow the large variety?

Shameless self-promotion: My personal web page, in the .sig below, has the
basics.
Garlic is a heavy feeder and a lousy competitor, so give it your best soil,
richest compost, and even if everything else goes to wrack and ruin, keep
it well weeded, and if it's dry, watered.
I grow mine in a 4' wide bed 6 inches each way (8 inches for a couple of
large varieties).

Hope this helps,

MackW 17-12-2009 07:19 PM

I have found garlic to be a hearty plant. It works a an excellent insect repellent. I planted garlic cloves from the grocery store all around some young hibiscus plants that were attached with aphids. A friend informed me that insects do not like garlic it appears to have solved the insect problem with the hibiscus plants. So now I have healthy hibiscus plants and a crop of garlic on the way.

squitresu 17-12-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MackW (Post 872076)
I have found garlic to be a hearty plant. It works a an excellent insect repellent. I planted garlic cloves from the grocery store all around some young hibiscus plants that were attached with aphids. A friend informed me that insects do not like garlic it appears to have solved the insect problem with the hibiscus plants. So now I have healthy hibiscus plants and a crop of garlic on the way.

Wonderful! thanks for the info that you guys have been discussing. Awesome!!!!