Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Potato experiment.

wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:00:52 -0500, "biig" wrote:

PS...what is the right time to plant? Thanks again.....Sharon

In your (our) area, last week of May should be relatively safe from a
heavy frost and will still give you lots of time for a good harvest.

Ross.

Thanks again..Sharon

Old 19-05-2010, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Way back on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:43:14 -0500, I wrote:

Every year we seem to have volunteer potato plants which have grown
from potatoes we've missed when digging the previous year's crop.
These volunteers always seem to produce a large healthy crop of
tubers.
Because of this, we've been meaning for several years to try some fall
planted potatoes and finally, this year, we managed to plant several
different varieties in about 50 feet of row. It'll be interesting to
see how well they perform.

Well, the verdict is in and, even though we had the mildest winter in
living memory, the experiment was a total failure.
No sign of life in any of the potato rows. Dug up about 10 feet of row
and there wasn't even any sign of the potatoes we planted last fall. I
guess they were turned into worm fodder.
Live and learn.

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Registered User

I'm aswell in SW Ontario Canada. Last year I buried potatoes in a garbage pail. I harvested them too soon, on the admonition of a acquaintance (didn't wait until the acme died off). I wish to do it again, but the amount of the soil is prohibitive and I've been told not to use the aforementioned clay over again.
Lights grow