Old 23-02-2003, 11:03 PM
DH

Default Blood oranges from seed

Is there a source for seeds for blood oranges, or are they the product of a
graft, and therefore only available as plants?

Just curious, because I had my first experience with them and now am ruined
for "regular" orange juice for the rest of my life! :-)

I am moving to ten acres in a couple of months. Among the many other trees
I want to plant, I would like to plant a small orchard (ten or so) of blood
oranges, but at $30+ per plant, am wondering if there is a less expensive
way to go.

TIA,

DH

Old 23-02-2003, 11:39 PM
zxcvbob

DH wrote:

Is there a source for seeds for blood oranges, or are they the product of a
graft, and therefore only available as plants?

Just curious, because I had my first experience with them and now am ruined
for "regular" orange juice for the rest of my life! :-)

I am moving to ten acres in a couple of months. Among the many other trees
I want to plant, I would like to plant a small orchard (ten or so) of blood
oranges, but at $30+ per plant, am wondering if there is a less expensive
way to go.

TIA,
DH

Buy one tree to get you started.

You should be able to plant seeds from a grocery store blood orange
(unless they are seedless). From what I have read, citrus produce a lot
truer from seed than most fruit trees. If you end up with something
undesirable you can graft cuttings from your purchased tree onto your
seedling rootstock.

Are you sure they grow in your area?

Best regards,
Bob
Old 23-02-2003, 11:39 PM
DH

Other citrus does very well out there, so I am hoping it will, as well.

I like the grafting idea, but I'd have to learn how to do it!

Old 24-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Boron Elgar

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:58:14 -0800, "DH"
wrote:

Is there a source for seeds for blood oranges, or are they the product of a
graft, and therefore only available as plants?

Just curious, because I had my first experience with them and now am ruined
for "regular" orange juice for the rest of my life! :-)

I am moving to ten acres in a couple of months. Among the many other trees
I want to plant, I would like to plant a small orchard (ten or so) of blood
oranges, but at $30+ per plant, am wondering if there is a less expensive
way to go.

Most citrus trees you buy are grafted. It makes for a healthier tree.

You might want to start with two or three trees & add a few more each
year. You might also check with wholsalers who are in your area & see
if you can get a discount for buying 10 trees.

Boron
Old 24-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Jeffrey Barker

"DH" wrote in message ...
Is there a source for seeds for blood oranges, or are they the product of a
graft, and therefore only available as plants?

Just curious, because I had my first experience with them and now am ruined
for "regular" orange juice for the rest of my life! :-)

I am moving to ten acres in a couple of months. Among the many other trees
I want to plant, I would like to plant a small orchard (ten or so) of blood
oranges, but at $30+ per plant, am wondering if there is a less expensive
way to go.

TIA,

DH

I've got a couple of blood oranges in the fridge, but I think the
season is ending here. If seeds would help you out at all, let me
know. I'd be happy to send you the seeds. (I really don't know much
about preserving/shipping seeds, as I usually buy seeds or grow stuff
from plants, but if this will work, I'm happy to oblige.)

Jeffrey

Old 24-02-2003, 04:05 PM
DH

Hi Jeffrey,

I tried to respond to you directly, with a mailing address, but it bounced
back as undeliverable.

Old 24-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Jeffrey Barker

"DH" wrote in message ...
Hi Jeffrey,

I tried to respond to you directly, with a mailing address, but it bounced
back as undeliverable.

home.com changed to comcast.net last year, I just left it the same
here to prevent spamming. I'll save the seeds for you.