Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Figs

I am thinking of trying something next Spring. My figs never produce
more than a handful of fruit because it seems they need about a month
more warm weather than they get here. I'm wondering if I built a cold
frame over them in the Spring if I could perhaps warm the soil and get
them started growing a month earlier. Does anyone do this? thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Davej wrote:
I am thinking of trying something next Spring. My figs never produce
more than a handful of fruit because it seems they need about a month
more warm weather than they get here. I'm wondering if I built a cold
frame over them in the Spring if I could perhaps warm the soil and get
them started growing a month earlier. Does anyone do this? thanks.

I haven't done that because I don't have the problem but it sounds like an
idea worth trying to me if it is not going to be too expensive. How big
would the cold frame have to be?

David

Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 3, 12:59*am, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Davej wrote:
I am thinking of trying something next Spring. My figs never produce
more than a handful of fruit because it seems they need about a month
more warm weather than they get here. I'm wondering if I built a cold
frame over them in the Spring if I could perhaps warm the soil and get
them started growing a month earlier. Does anyone do this? thanks.

I haven't done that because I don't have the problem but it sounds like an
idea worth trying to me if it is not going to be too expensive. *How big
would the cold frame have to be?

Something like a 4ft diameter circle for each plant.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Davej wrote:
I am thinking of trying something next Spring. My figs never produce
more than a handful of fruit because it seems they need about a
month more warm weather than they get here. I'm wondering if I
built a cold frame over them in the Spring if I could perhaps warm
the soil and get them started growing a month earlier. Does anyone
do this? thanks.

I haven't done that because I don't have the problem but it sounds
like an idea worth trying to me if it is not going to be too
expensive. How big would the cold frame have to be?

Something like a 4ft diameter circle for each plant.

You should be able to do that with a polypipe frame and cover with clear
plastic for not much money. It would last a few seasons and tell you if the
idea is going to work.

David

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM