Old 23-01-2010, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Herbs and Deer

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ
Old 23-01-2010, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 05:51:19 -0800, wrote:

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ

Any guy named Herb who owns a shotgun.

Old 24-01-2010, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ

If you mean a group of Herbs, or Toms, or Harrys, and give them plenty
of beer, so that they don't wander off, it probably would work. If you
mean green vegetative stuff, not so much.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 24-01-2010, 11:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 24, 12:30*am, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:50:36 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 05:51:19 -0800, wrote:

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ

Any guy named Herb who owns a shotgun.

On a serious note try hanging bars of Irish Spring around your garden.
I've been doing it for a couple of years but I can't really make a
statement about it's efficacy because I don't get that many deer. I got
the idea from the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park in
Vermont, they were using it around their gardens.

I can make a statement, it didn't work at all
MJ

Old 24-01-2010, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:50:36 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 05:51:19 -0800, wrote:

Are there Herbs that will deter Deer from the garden?

MJ

Any guy named Herb who owns a shotgun.

On a serious note try hanging bars of Irish Spring around your garden.
I've been doing it for a couple of years but I can't really make a
statement about it's efficacy because I don't get that many deer. I got
the idea from the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park
in Vermont, they were using it around their gardens.

I can make a statement, it didn't work at all MJ

Have you tried predator urine? I've been using Fox and Coyote urine to
keep away groundhogs and raccoons away, it seems to have worked. Once
again I can't make a scientific statement but the theory behind predator
urine seems a little better then the theory behind Irish Spring.

Is it expensive and how often to you have to put it out?
MJ
Old 24-01-2010, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:35:24 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 24, 10:03Â*am, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:16:57 -0800, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:30Â*am, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
[...]

As I recall I paid $15 or $20 for each bottle (1 Fox and 1 Coyote), they
lasted all summer. The stuff I bought was essentially kitty litter that
was soaked in urine, it came in shaker bottles. I applied it about once a
month. BTW the previous year I tried dumping my cat's litter box in the
groundhog holes, it was a huge mistake. Modern scoopable litter turns
into a slurry when it gets wet and it never dries, it's essentially
quicksand. The muck was still there a year later, I expect it will be
there for many years to come. They use the old fashion stuff for the
predator urine so that wasn't a problem.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/24/2010 11:01 AM, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:35:24 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 24, 10:03 am, General
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:16:57 -0800, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:30 am, General
wrote:
[...]

I've used fox urine as a scent mask while hunting deer. It does not
deter them. Foxes and in some places coyotes are around deer all the
time. Soap and other repellents are also largely ineffective. The only
things guaranteed to work are fences and netting.

Herbs and Deer mj North Carolina 7 18-03-2010 01:28 PM
Herbs and Deer mj Gardening 24 31-01-2010 09:55 PM
Herbs and Roses [email protected] Gardening 13 17-04-2009 05:35 PM
Herbs Plants and Seed Supplies In SEQ Michael Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Ecoaromuz organic herbs and essential oils Lluisa Plant Biology 0 19-03-2003 08:56 PM