Old 18-02-2010, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Peppers

For over 29 years I have tried to grow Green bell peppers with little or no
success
If I plant 10 pepper plants from the nursery I will get no more 10 peppers .
There will be one , or two or none on each one. Average one per plant.
Zone 5 in Canada on the US border. My soil has been professionaly tested
and is excellent.
What am I doing wrong

Old 18-02-2010, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Andy Petro wrote:
For over 29 years I have tried to grow Green bell peppers with little
or no success
If I plant 10 pepper plants from the nursery I will get no more 10
peppers . There will be one , or two or none on each one. Average
one per plant. Zone 5 in Canada on the US border. My soil has been
professionaly tested and is excellent.
What am I doing wrong

Chillis and peppers like a long hot summer. You are probably trying to grow
them in a climate that is too cold and/or has a growing season too short.
For the warmest four months of the year what is the typical minimum night
time and day time temperature?

David

Old 18-02-2010, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Andy Petro wrote:
For over 29 years I have tried to grow Green bell peppers with little
or no success
If I plant 10 pepper plants from the nursery I will get no more 10
peppers . There will be one , or two or none on each one. Average
one per plant. Zone 5 in Canada on the US border. My soil has been
professionaly tested and is excellent.
What am I doing wrong

Chillis and peppers like a long hot summer. You are probably trying to grow
them in a climate that is too cold and/or has a growing season too short.
For the warmest four months of the year what is the typical minimum night
time and day time temperature?

David

Most likely, David is right. You may want to look into making row
covers, or cold frames for them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 18-02-2010, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

.
There will be one , or two or none on each one. Average one per plant.
Zone 5 in Canada on the US border. My soil has been professionaly tested
and is excellent.
What am I doing wrong

I haven't got a clue what Zone 5 is but I would have thought that the
geographic location you give means that you either wouldn't get enough
summer heat to grow bell peppers aka capsicum, or your growing season is too
short for them to mature. But really, I haven't a clue - will read

Old 18-02-2010, 08:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Andy Petro" wrote in message
For over 29 years I have tried to grow Green bell peppers with
little or no success
If I plant 10 pepper plants from the nursery I will get no more 10
peppers .
There will be one , or two or none on each one. Average one per
plant. Zone 5 in Canada on the US border. My soil has been
professionaly tested and is excellent.
What am I doing wrong

I haven't got a clue what Zone 5 is but I would have thought that the
geographic location you give means that you either wouldn't get enough
summer heat to grow bell peppers aka capsicum, or your growing season
is too short for them to mature. But really, I haven't a clue - will
read responses with interest.

If I read it correctly winter temperature drops down to around -25C (-15F).
This doesn't tell you directly what summer is likely to be but it isn't
promising.

Old 18-02-2010, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Andy Petro wrote:
For over 29 years I have tried to grow Green bell peppers with little or no
success
If I plant 10 pepper plants from the nursery I will get no more 10 peppers .
There will be one , or two or none on each one. Average one per plant.
Zone 5 in Canada on the US border. My soil has been professionaly tested
and is excellent.
What am I doing wrong

Try growing a different shaped sweet pepper -- like "Gypsy", or one of
the Italian frying peppers. I've never had good luck with bell
peppers or pimentos.

I think peppers get confused by the extremely long days during the
summer if you get too far from the tropics. My hot peppers always
come on strong in the early fall when the days start getting
noticeably shorter, even if the plants were big and blooming already
during the summer months. Of course, by the time they put on a big
flush of growth and blooms, there's not much time left before the
first frost.

I usually have good crops of hot peppers, but last year I had a total
crop failure because the unseasonable weather all summer long (cold
when it should have been hot, hot when it should have been cold, rain
at the wrong times.) Fixin' to start my seeds to try it again this year.

Bob
zone 4, Minnesota
Old 19-02-2010, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 18, 4:42*am, "Andy Petro" wrote:
For over 29 years I have tried to grow Green bell peppers with little or no
success
If I plant 10 pepper plants from the nursery I will get no more 10 peppers .
There will be *one , or two or none on each one. Average one per plant.
Zone 5 in Canada on the US border. *My soil has been professionaly tested
and is excellent.
What am I doing wrong

Peppers do not have to be harvested as soon as they appear ripe, so I
think you should try and let them pop up.