GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Red Wiggler Worms for Garden Composting -- at Auction! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/18985-re-red-wiggler-worms-garden-composting-auction.html)

zxcvbob 28-04-2003 09:44 PM

Red Wiggler Worms for Garden Composting -- at Auction!

Henriette Kress wrote:
(Doug Painter) wrote:

Red Wiggler Worms are a kind of earthworm that are
specifically adapted to eating rotting vegetable material.

Yep. And the funny thing is, if you compost so that worms can get _to_ your
organic garbage (a grid in the bottom to keep rodents and such out, with holes
so worms and such can get in), they'll turn up all on their own.

Another way to get guaranteed compost-devouring red wrigglers is to dig in
somebody else's working worm-filled compost. You don't need many, a cupful is
plenty. Bring'em to their new home, feed them well, don't suffocate them, and
there's no need whatsoever to shell out big buck$ on ebay for something as
ubiquitous as compost worms.

Really. It'd make as much sense to sell dandelion seeds on ebay.

Now go away, we don't like spam here.

Henriette

$10 for a thousand red wigglers is not a bad deal if that's all you paid.
But that's just an opening bid, and doesn't include the shipping.

I can buy red wigglers at the bait shop for about $2 for a cup of worms.
I'm not sure how many it is; maybe 100 at the most. But it is enough to
get a worm bucket started. (Vermiculture? I think that's the right word)
BTW, garden worms and nightcrawlers don't work very well in a worm bucket.

Hmmm. Dandelion seeds...

Best regards,
Bob

Pam 29-04-2003 02:44 PM

Red Wiggler Worms for Garden Composting -- at Auction!

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:42:47 -0500,since it's all about me
zxcvbob professed:

Henriette Kress wrote:

Red wigglers: If you build it, they will come

Really. It'd make as much sense to sell dandelion seeds on ebay.

Mo' 'bout red wigglers

Hmmm. Dandelion seeds...

Back in the 80's I got a seed catalog that advertised
kudzu seeds for sale.

I couldn't believe it, either.

Pam, from a state that kudzu ate.

"ElissaAnn"

Gary Woods 29-04-2003 03:56 PM

Pam wrote:

Back in the 80's I got a seed catalog that advertised
kudzu seeds for sale.

I remember seeing tadpoles in an aquatic garden catalog. $2.95 each plus
air shipping!

But the kudzu seeds trump almost any of that...