Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Registered User

Red face quirky containers

Hello everyone
I'm new to the forum. I have looked for other threads on the subjects and although there are lots, none address my specific question.
I would like to start growing some veggies, my mum did when I was younger and I miss homegrown!
I want to use 3 containers for my patio I bought recently. I think they look pretty cool, vintage and unique (ok Im a girl what can I say, I like things to look good too!) One is an old wine crate (size of a normal wine crate!), the other is an old tin washtub (about 1m in length/35cm width/23cm high) and the last is half a barrel.
Now I know I'm not going to fill my kitchen with food using these but I'd like some advice as to what to plant in each one. I'm guessing plants of the dwarf variety! Could I get multiple plants in any of these? i.e could I fit lettuce, radish, spring onions, rocket and beetroot in one? or is that overcrowding?

Onions, carrots and beans in another? Maybe strawberries & rhubarb in another? Or maybe I should do one variety per pot?

Also, I was planning to plant from seed in the containers or should I use a propagation tray first?

Sorry for all your help. I've ordered a book which arrives soon so hopefully that will help
Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default quirky containers

hungry gardener wrote:
Hello everyone
I'm new to the forum. I have looked for other threads on the subjects
and although there are lots, none address my specific question.
I would like to start growing some veggies, my mum did when I was
younger and I miss homegrown!
I want to use 3 containers for my patio I bought recently. I think
they look pretty cool, vintage and unique (ok Im a girl what can I
say, I like things to look good too!) One is an old wine crate (size
of a normal wine crate!), the other is an old tin washtub (about 1m in
length/35cm width/23cm high) and the last is half a barrel.

Just about any container will do if it has drainage and you fit the plant to
the size.

Now I know I'm not going to fill my kitchen with food using these but
I'd like some advice as to what to plant in each one. I'm guessing
plants of the dwarf variety! Could I get multiple plants in any of
these? i.e could I fit lettuce, radish, spring onions, rocket and
beetroot in one? or is that overcrowding?

That mix would be fine. Refer to the planting distances on the seed pack.
You can go closer if your soil is rich.

Onions, carrots and beans in another?

Get climbing beans and train them up a support to make more room.

Maybe strawberries & rhubarb in
another?

These are long term items all the rest you mention are annuals.

Or maybe I should do one variety per pot?
Also, I was planning to plant from seed in the containers or should I
use a propagation tray first?

It depends on the plant. Some take transplanting quite well (lettuce)
others not (carrot). Look up your book or instuctions on the pack.

Sorry for all your help. I've ordered a book which arrives soon so
hopefully that will help

Remember you need full sun for most veges and you must check your pots at
least daily in hot weather as they will tend to dry out quickly and may need
watering.

David

Old 13-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Registered User

Thanks so much, Ill let you know how I get on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post

Old 15-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungry gardener View Post
Thanks so much, Ill let you know how I get on!
There is a discussion on growing carrots in containers on this site:

Space requirements for carrots

Also this persons blog has veg growing in a tin bath and other novel containers:

BellPepperNicoll