GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Germination (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/190117-germination.html)

Billy[_9_] 13-03-2010 10:57 PM

Germination

Huh?
It has been nearly 4 weeks since I started my last tray of seeds to
germinate. Yellow wax peppers came up after 5 days, then a couple of
Portofino squash, and so on and so forth, and for the last ten days I've
had 20 or so cells not doin' nothin'. Then bang, yesterday, up came a
couple of Quadrato di Asti, a couple of lemon cukes, Ice Box
watermelons, and Swiss Chard. I'm using my one and two year old seeds
first, and I figured that they had just gone toes up, and I was getting
ready to chuck them. Now I'll leave that tray to complete what it can
and start a new tray (my last one for vegetables) to complete the plants
that I want, and insure that I have enough of the ones that I want (only
3 bitter melons have germinated and I want at least 5).

Patience (or laziness) is a virtue. If some of your seeds didn't
germinate, give them some time, if you can. They might surprise you,
like they did me.

58F here today (Northern California) and I have 2 tray of repotted
plants outside catching some rays. They'll come in tonight, out of the
cold, and away from any stray slugs or snails.

I know that I'm getting an earlier start than many of you, but when your
70F nights kick in, you leave me in the dust.

Bill who putters 13-03-2010 11:24 PM

Germination

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Patience (or laziness) is a virtue. If some of your seeds didn't
germinate, give them some time, if you can. They might surprise you,
like they did me.

Sound advice I just ordered some seed this this AM only upon looking
found I had some of them already. Trying to find reasonable shade lovers.

333.10
Suyo Long-Mini
Vegetables Cucumbers Asian/Burpless
1
$1.95
$1.95

138.10
Hon Tsai Tai-Mini
Vegetables Micro Mix
1
$2.95
$2.95

512.10
Kyona Mizuna-Mini
Vegetables Micro Mix
1
$2.95
$2.95

2729TE.10
Bonsai (F1) (Treated)-Mini
Vegetables Greens Asian Leaf Type
1
$1.95
$1.95

2760.10
Tomatoberry Garden (F1)-Mini
Vegetables Tomatoes Small-fruited Red Cherry
1
$4.95
$4.95

2366G.11
Encore Lettuce Mix (OG)-Packet
Vegetables Lettuce Salad Mixes
1
$3.95
$3.95

2246.10
Rubicon (F1)-Mini
Vegetables Cabbage, Chinese Napa Type
1
$2.95
$2.95

507.10
Joi Choi (F1)-Mini
Vegetables Greens Asian Pac Choi
1
$2.95
$2.95

3802.11
Superbo-Packet
Herbs Basil Pesto
1
$2.95
$2.95

2494.10
Fuyu Shomi (F1)-Mini
Vegetables Greens Asian Pac Choi
1
$2.95
$2.95

840G.11
Staro (OG)-Packet
Herbs Chives
1
$3.35
$3.35

386.10
Golden Purslane "Goldberg"-Mini
Vegetables Greens Specialty/Mesclun
1
$2.95
$2.95

2257.10
Red Purslane "Gruner"-Mini
Vegetables Micro Mix
1
$2.95
$2.95

All this with dimming in my back lobe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLfBXRPoHRc

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Billy[_9_] 14-03-2010 02:29 AM

Germination

In article ,

[...]