Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2010, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?

My main problem with tomatoes at the moment is just that I can't find a
6 pack of Early Girl. Seems that all the Orchard Supply Hardware stores
in the area aren't stocking them currently.

Does anyone know of a source of tomato 6 packs (Early Girl is what I'm
after) in the S.F. East Bay's I80 corridor? I'm driving from Berkeley to
Milpitas tomorrow and could make a stop for seedlings. Thanks for any
ideas. Suggest a store and I will call it.

I worked hard the last week to prepare my bed. Usually I have my
tomatoes in the ground by now.

Dan


Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

  #2   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2010, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:33:11 -0700, Dan Musicant
wrote:

:My main problem with tomatoes at the moment is just that I can't find a
:6 pack of Early Girl. Seems that all the Orchard Supply Hardware stores
:in the area aren't stocking them currently.
:
oes anyone know of a source of tomato 6 packs (Early Girl is what I'm
:after) in the S.F. East Bay's I80 corridor? I'm driving from Berkeley to
:Milpitas tomorrow and could make a stop for seedlings. Thanks for any
:ideas. Suggest a store and I will call it.
:
:I worked hard the last week to prepare my bed. Usually I have my
:tomatoes in the ground by now.
:
an

A manager at my local OSH just called me and told me that in 2 days
(Friday) they will have 6 packs of Early Girl. He said the supplier was
later than usual due to the heavy rains. I'm skeptical concerning that
explanation (kept that to myself), but thanked him. I'll go in Friday
(after calling them to confirm) and hope to finally score my seedlings.

Dan



Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
  #3   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2010, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,438
Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?

In article ,
Dan Musicant wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:33:11 -0700, Dan Musicant
wrote:

:My main problem with tomatoes at the moment is just that I can't find a
:6 pack of Early Girl. Seems that all the Orchard Supply Hardware stores
:in the area aren't stocking them currently.
:
oes anyone know of a source of tomato 6 packs (Early Girl is what I'm
:after) in the S.F. East Bay's I80 corridor? I'm driving from Berkeley to
:Milpitas tomorrow and could make a stop for seedlings. Thanks for any
:ideas. Suggest a store and I will call it.
:
:I worked hard the last week to prepare my bed. Usually I have my
:tomatoes in the ground by now.
:
an

A manager at my local OSH just called me and told me that in 2 days
(Friday) they will have 6 packs of Early Girl. He said the supplier was
later than usual due to the heavy rains. I'm skeptical concerning that
explanation (kept that to myself), but thanked him. I'll go in Friday
(after calling them to confirm) and hope to finally score my seedlings.

Dan



Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net


My experience has been that Home Despot and the fashionable boutique-y
nurseries sell by the pot at first and then come out with the six packs
when most people have already planted. My best luck has been with small
neighborhood nurseries, who need to satisfy their customers.

Do you really get any growth out of your tomatoes at this time of year?
Seventy degrees is the suggested soil temp for planting. I suppose you
could speed things up with a row cover. My tomatoes usually just sit
there until sometime after mid-May, and then start growing.

Anyway, my suggestion is to hit the phonebook, or google "nurseries,
East Bay", and then start phoning.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3lF5XSUg
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Zinn/HZinn_page.html
  #4   Report Post  
Old 26-03-2010, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 30
Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?

Billy wrote in
:

In article ,
Dan Musicant wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:33:11 -0700, Dan Musicant
wrote:

:My main problem with tomatoes at the moment is just that I can't
:find a 6 pack of Early Girl. Seems that all the Orchard Supply
:Hardware stores in the area aren't stocking them currently.
:
oes anyone know of a source of tomato 6 packs (Early Girl is what
:I'm after) in the S.F. East Bay's I80 corridor? I'm driving from
:Berkeley to Milpitas tomorrow and could make a stop for seedlings.
:Thanks for any ideas. Suggest a store and I will call it.
:
:I worked hard the last week to prepare my bed. Usually I have my
:tomatoes in the ground by now.
:
an

A manager at my local OSH just called me and told me that in 2 days
(Friday) they will have 6 packs of Early Girl. He said the supplier
was later than usual due to the heavy rains. I'm skeptical concerning
that explanation (kept that to myself), but thanked him. I'll go in
Friday (after calling them to confirm) and hope to finally score my
seedlings.

Dan



Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net


My experience has been that Home Despot and the fashionable boutique-y
nurseries sell by the pot at first and then come out with the six
packs when most people have already planted. My best luck has been
with small neighborhood nurseries, who need to satisfy their
customers.

Do you really get any growth out of your tomatoes at this time of
year? Seventy degrees is the suggested soil temp for planting. I
suppose you could speed things up with a row cover. My tomatoes
usually just sit there until sometime after mid-May, and then start
growing.

Anyway, my suggestion is to hit the phonebook, or google "nurseries,
East Bay", and then start phoning.


Or grow them from seed.
SO VERY easy and satisfying
  #5   Report Post  
Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 21
Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeleyto Milpitas)?

On Mar 24, 2:13 pm, Billy wrote:

Do you really get any growth out of your tomatoes at this time of year?
Seventy degrees is the suggested soil temp for planting. I suppose you
could speed things up with a row cover. My tomatoes usually just sit
there until sometime after mid-May, and then start growing.


I've always read that tomatoes will progress when the night time soil
temp is at or above 50F. In addition to Early Girl there are
heirloom Siberian tomatoes that are said to do well in cooler
climates. I have planted one, called Black Prince, this year not so
much for climate reasons--we get plenty hot enough--but because it's
said to taste great. -aem


  #6   Report Post  
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,438
Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?

In article
,
aem wrote:

On Mar 24, 2:13 pm, Billy wrote:

Do you really get any growth out of your tomatoes at this time of year?
Seventy degrees is the suggested soil temp for planting. I suppose you
could speed things up with a row cover. My tomatoes usually just sit
there until sometime after mid-May, and then start growing.


I've always read that tomatoes will progress when the night time soil
temp is at or above 50F. In addition to Early Girl there are
heirloom Siberian tomatoes that are said to do well in cooler
climates. I have planted one, called Black Prince, this year not so
much for climate reasons--we get plenty hot enough--but because it's
said to taste great. -aem


Instead of just chucking all my excess tomato seedlings, I planted some
in one of the least desirable locations in my yard (north side of hill,
under trees, little sun light, avg. temp 50F) and they are hanging in
there. They are 3" tall as compared to 20" for seedlings that were
started under grow lights, and then placed in pots in the sunniest part
of my yard. Night time temps here never average 55F.

Let us know how your tomatoes do for the next 2 months. Your highs are a
couple of degrees lower than mine, but you lows are a couple of degrees
higher.

I'm hoping to tent my tomatoes in the next couple of weeks for a quicker
start to their growing season, and get more plants out of my study.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3lF5XSUg
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Zinn/HZinn_page.html
  #7   Report Post  
Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,438
Default Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Big whoops, my bad. I thought I was talking to Dan in the 180 corridor,
Bay Area. I can see that in Virginia you are running much warmer than I
am. I hope you are prepared to protect that "Black Prince", because
Accuweather has you down for a 30F low next thursday.
In article
,
aem wrote:

On Mar 24, 2:13 pm, Billy wrote:

Do you really get any growth out of your tomatoes at this time of year?
Seventy degrees is the suggested soil temp for planting. I suppose you
could speed things up with a row cover. My tomatoes usually just sit
there until sometime after mid-May, and then start growing.


I've always read that tomatoes will progress when the night time soil
temp is at or above 50F. In addition to Early Girl there are
heirloom Siberian tomatoes that are said to do well in cooler
climates. I have planted one, called Black Prince, this year not so
much for climate reasons--we get plenty hot enough--but because it's
said to taste great. -aem


Instead of just chucking all my excess tomato seedlings, I planted some
in one of the least desirable locations in my yard (north side of hill,
under trees, little sun light, avg. temp 50F) and they are hanging in
there. They are 3" tall as compared to 20" for seedlings that were
started under grow lights, and then placed in pots in the sunniest part
of my yard. Night time temps here never average 55F.

Let us know how your tomatoes do for the next 2 months. Your highs are a
couple of degrees lower than mine, but you lows are a couple of degrees
higher.

I'm hoping to tent my tomatoes in the next couple of weeks for a quicker
start to their growing season, and get more plants out of my study.

--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3lF5XSUg
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Zinn/HZinn_page.html


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U/C Berkeley 2008 Gunner[_3_] Edible Gardening 4 10-08-2011 07:21 AM
U/C Berkeley 2008 Gunner[_3_] Gardening 3 08-08-2011 02:58 PM
What variety of squirrel populates Berkeley, CA? Dan Musicant Edible Gardening 15 26-01-2011 06:08 PM
post-doc at UC-Berkeley karyn lynn newman Plant Biology 0 28-05-2004 07:08 PM
Source for Cherokee Purple Tomato Seedlings? JMatt Gardening 2 21-04-2004 03:02 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017