Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Just dug the horseradish for the first time

Interestingly, some of the biggest roots ran laterally from the
crowns for about a foot before turning down (just begging to be cut
by the shovel.)

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots? Or just let the stuff come back from whatever
broke off in the ground?

Thanks,
Bob

Hmmm, the power just went out... Glad my cable modem is on a UPS.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots?

Don't do anything but dig up everything you need (or can find).
There will _always_ be enough small pieces to grow new roots.
When you buy horseradish from nurseries, you get a bundle of the small
lateral roots to plant as root cuttings.

What's the difference between true love and horseradish?

Horseradish is forever!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/2/2010 3:39 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
Interestingly, some of the biggest roots ran laterally from the
crowns for about a foot before turning down (just begging to be cut
by the shovel.)

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots? Or just let the stuff come back from whatever
broke off in the ground?

Thanks,
Bob

Hmmm, the power just went out... Glad my cable modem is on a UPS.

I used to let horseradish grow back from the small roots left in the
ground. Horseradish is said to be evasive but apparently I lost mine
due to damn deer that eat everything - not roots but crown.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Interestingly, some of the biggest roots ran laterally from the
crowns for about a foot before turning down (just begging to be cut
by the shovel.)

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots? Or just let the stuff come back from whatever
broke off in the ground?

Any little root will grow if the conditions are good.

David
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
On 4/2/2010 3:39 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
Interestingly, some of the biggest roots ran laterally from the
crowns for about a foot before turning down (just begging to be cut
by the shovel.)

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots? Or just let the stuff come back from whatever
broke off in the ground?

Thanks,
Bob

Hmmm, the power just went out... Glad my cable modem is on a UPS.

I used to let horseradish grow back from the small roots left in the
ground. Horseradish is said to be evasive but apparently I lost mine
due to damn deer that eat everything - not roots but crown.

You wouldn't need to have deer, those evasive plants lose themselves like
politicians photographed with someone else's spouse.

David.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/2/2010 2:52 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
wrote:

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots?

Don't do anything but dig up everything you need (or can find).
There will _always_ be enough small pieces to grow new roots.
When you buy horseradish from nurseries, you get a bundle of the small
lateral roots to plant as root cuttings.

What's the difference between true love and horseradish?

Horseradish is forever!

Rather than grind up all of it and have it go stale on me, I assume I
can freeze big pieces to thaw whenever I want fresh HR?

Bob
Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots?

Don't do anything but dig up everything you need (or can find).
There will _always_ be enough small pieces to grow new roots.
When you buy horseradish from nurseries, you get a bundle of the small
lateral roots to plant as root cuttings.

What's the difference between true love and horseradish?

Horseradish is forever!

Rather than grind up all of it and have it go stale on me, I assume I
can freeze big pieces to thaw whenever I want fresh HR?

Bob

Some root vegs will do just find ignored and you can take a piece when
you want. I'll look for copicing root vegetables.

Lets see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

http://www.slideshare.net/ethanapple...r-farmers-2009

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...ish/index.html

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful

Old 15-04-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past zxcvbob posted this:
Interestingly, some of the biggest roots ran laterally from the
crowns for about a foot before turning down (just begging to be cut
by the shovel.)

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots? Or just let the stuff come back from whatever
broke off in the ground?

Thanks,
Bob

Hmmm, the power just went out... Glad my cable modem is on a UPS.

I held a half dozen finger sized roots about 5" long over the winter in a
plastic bag in my refrigerator crisper. When I remembered them in May, they
were covered with green mold which I washed off. I planted them in the
garden at 45° angles with the top end only down about 2" and every one of
them sprouted. They are still growing strong 8 years later. In my hard clay
soil, I almost need a backhoe to harvest any.

For me, besides fresh which is the best, we grind up a batch adding a bit of
salt and lemon juice and then freeze it in 1/2 C jars until we need them.
The heat does diminish, but the flavor is still very good. If I need more
heat in my cocktail sauce, I add a little Sriracha.

We double-grind it and for each cup of ground horseradish we add 3 T lemon
juice, 1/2 tsp. salt & 1/4 C water.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3