Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas

I bought a package of Black Knight Sweet Peas thinking that they were an
edible pea (sweet pea sounds good doesn't it). As it turns out they are
poisonous. Is there any possibility that they will cross pollinate with
my edible peas and make them poisonous?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph said:

I bought a package of Black Knight Sweet Peas thinking that they were an
edible pea (sweet pea sounds good doesn't it). As it turns out they are
poisonous. Is there any possibility that they will cross pollinate with
my edible peas and make them poisonous?

Don't worry. Different species. Different genera.

Sweet pea = Lathyrus odoratus
Garden pea = Pisum sativum

Sweet peas are called that due to the prominent, pleasant scent.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote in news:81sqr0F6i9U4
@mid.individual.net:

I bought a package of Black Knight Sweet Peas thinking that they were an
edible pea (sweet pea sounds good doesn't it). As it turns out they are
poisonous. Is there any possibility that they will cross pollinate with
my edible peas and make them poisonous?

The answer is already posted - cross pollination won't happen. However,
if somehow it did, the seeds from you edible pea plants would still be
edible - and the seeds from the sweet peas would still be poisonous. It's
the seeds produced by the offspring you'd have to worry about.