Old 14-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Registered User

Default Tomatoes

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of tomoto seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?
Old 14-04-2010, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I know
how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 14-04-2010, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of
tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I
know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)

My God, why does gardenbander link to this group??? Is it so their
subscribers can get some useful information???
;-(

Tom J

Old 15-04-2010, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

farida wrote:
Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I know
how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

One.would be good. If you have more each will be smaller due to
competition. You could plant out two in case one doesn't take and if they
both grow well remove one.

David

Old 15-04-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tom J wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of
tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I
know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)

My God, why does gardenbander link to this group??? Is it so their
subscribers can get some useful information???
;-(

Tom J

Yes in this case he was being a Silly Billy. But before you complain too
much cast about for the amount of good information that gardenbanter does
get from its usenet link.

David

Old 15-04-2010, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of
tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I
know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)

My God, why does gardenbander link to this group??? Is it so their
subscribers can get some useful information???
;-(

Tom J

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, you cut me to the quick, sir. I was rather curious
how many plants you could grow in that pot myself, ah well. You don't
like my first answer? Well then try 1. Don't go all Cassandra on me.
That's ONE tomato plant in your 10 litre pot, and not a very large
tomato plant either, noooo, maybe 60 to 90 cm. Perhaps, you could grow 2
plants 30 - 45 cm in height, or 3 tomatoes of 20 - 30 cm in height. Or 4
plants . . . well, you get the drift.
Happier?
Ptssh. They put in a nickel and want a dollar song. Humph.
--
- Billy
Old 15-04-2010, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Tom J wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of
tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I
know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)

My God, why does gardenbander link to this group??? Is it so their
subscribers can get some useful information???
;-(

Tom J

Yes in this case he was being a Silly Billy. But before you
complain
too much cast about for the amount of good information that
gardenbanter does get from its usenet link.

David

My point is, what does this group get, period?

Tom J

Old 15-04-2010, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of
tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I
know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)

My God, why does gardenbander link to this group??? Is it so their
subscribers can get some useful information???
;-(

Tom J

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, you cut me to the quick, sir.

I didn't mean to "cut" you in any way. see my other post since I
replied to your post.

Tom J
who at least does a search 1st before blathering about something so
trivial!!

Old 15-04-2010, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of
tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I
know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)

My God, why does gardenbander link to this group??? Is it so their
subscribers can get some useful information???
;-(

Tom J

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, you cut me to the quick, sir.

I didn't mean to "cut" you in any way. see my other post since I
replied to your post.

Tom J
who at least does a search 1st before blathering about something so
trivial!!

You research your blather? Oh, you too clever for us then;O)
--
- Billy
Old 15-04-2010, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

farida wrote:
Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I know
how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

One.would be good. If you have more each will be smaller due to
competition. You could plant out two in case one doesn't take and if they
both grow well remove one.

David

Aw, David, your giving away the store.
--
- Billy

Old 15-04-2010, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Tom J wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of
tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I
know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)

My God, why does gardenbander link to this group??? Is it so their
subscribers can get some useful information???
;-(

Tom J

Yes in this case he was being a Silly Billy. But before you complain too
much cast about for the amount of good information that gardenbanter does
get from its usenet link.

David

Oh, come on, that was a funny bit, that. He puts 2 packets in a 2 litre
pot, but doesn't want me to be trivial? I wonder how many plants he
would have got? Probably more that he has fingers and toes. 'e was
'uman, wasn't he?
--
- Billy
Old 15-04-2010, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Tom J wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of
tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I
know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

I think you are about to find out ;O)

My God, why does gardenbander link to this group??? Is it so their
subscribers can get some useful information???
;-(

Tom J

Yes in this case he was being a Silly Billy. But before you
complain
too much cast about for the amount of good information that
gardenbanter does get from its usenet link.

David

My point is, what does this group get, period?

Tom J

Wot? Your group, or our group? Or do you mean globally? (I'd better type
faster, I have a feeling that Fran will be descending on me momentarily)
Never mind. Wot was in your mind, when you poured 2 packs of seeds into
a 2.6 gallon pot? Did the instructions say anything about spacing on the
packet as it does 'ere in the colonies? Hmmm? Does it? Do you do the
same with your meds? Just gobble them all down, and then wonder 'ow much
you should have taken. Isn't there someone there to watch you?
'ark. I mean, hark, foot steps. I'd better leave now.
See ya in the funny papers.
--
- Billy
Old 15-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by farida View Post
May I know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?
I would go for 1 plant per 10 ltrs.

At the start it looks like you can get loads of plants in, but they do grow and less is more with tomms.

Use lots and lots of water, they are truely thirsty. every day. and make sure they get tonnes of sun.

oh and dont forget they will need tying up as they grow. (not tight)

Cheers
Old 15-04-2010, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:19:34 -0400, farida wrote:

Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of tomoto
seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I know
how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?

One plant per pot. If you were planting in the ground you would space
them between 2 and 4 feet apart which means that a pot, any pot, can't
hold more than one full grown plant. Since you have lots of seedlings you
might want to put them into small pots until they get to be a few inches
tall and then transplant the survivors into your large pots.