Old 29-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Stephen Younge

Default any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado

Hey folks:

I'm going to grow herbs for the first time this year; I have focused on
veggies until now. I'm planning to do cilantro, regular basil, and
potentially hot peppers (jalapenos or habernos). I live in the foothills of
Boulder, Colorado. The soil here is crap (50% rock) so I've dug some pits
that I'll fill with soil (plus other goodies like manure, etc.) that I have
bought at the store. I am thinking of putting seeds in the ground in a few
weeks.

Any secret tips on growing these things?

Here's to a great season!

cheers,
Stephen

Old 29-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:03:35 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

Hey folks:

I'm going to grow herbs for the first time this year; I have focused on
veggies until now. I'm planning to do cilantro, regular basil, and
potentially hot peppers (jalapenos or habernos). I live in the foothills of
Boulder, Colorado. The soil here is crap (50% rock) so I've dug some pits
that I'll fill with soil (plus other goodies like manure, etc.) that I have
bought at the store. I am thinking of putting seeds in the ground in a few
weeks.

Unless you want huge masses of cilantro, I don't see much
point in bothering to grow it outdoors.

I grow cilantro in a foil loaf pan (regular foil pan bought
at the grocery store) on a windowsill. I punch holes in the
foil pan first with a pencil for drainage.

I can have a continuous supply of cilantro (all year round)
simply by starting one foil loaf pan a week. The cilantro
only takes about 30-35 days to mature (from sowing the seed
to snipping the cilantro).

I have enough for two people by starting one foil loaf pan
per week.

I'm going to do the same thing with cress - I've ordered
cress seeds. This is the cress you are served in English
pubs as a garnish on sandwiches or salads. It's even faster
than cilantro.

Pat

Old 29-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Dwight Sipler

wrote:

Hey folks:

I'm going to grow herbs for the first time this year; I have focused on
veggies until now. I'm planning to do cilantro, regular basil, and
potentially hot peppers (jalapenos or habernos). I live in the foothills of
Boulder, Colorado. The soil here is crap (50% rock) so I've dug some pits
that I'll fill with soil (plus other goodies like manure, etc.) that I have
bought at the store. I am thinking of putting seeds in the ground in a few
weeks.

For the hot peppers, concentrate on the jalapenos. Habaneros take a long
time to mature and I generally start my plants in January for a
September crop. Jalapenos are quicker. Rather than starting them
directly from seeds, start the seeds indoors a few weeks before you are
going to set them out. They'll get a head start and the large plants are
much easier to distinguish from the weeds in the garden. No thinning is
required since you set the plants out at the desired spacing.