Old 28-04-2010, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Composting Rhubarb leaves?

Hi all,
I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves are
posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!
Old 28-04-2010, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Merryb wrote:
Hi all,
I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves are
posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!

They will break down just fine. The poison is not very dangerous and it is
not very persistent. It is oxalate an organic compound which will go into
the mix and come out as something else and/or at least be greatly diluted.

David

Old 28-04-2010, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Merryb wrote:

Hi all,
I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves are
posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!

Forgiver the cut and past, but his is the answer you were looking for.

Are rhubarb leaves safe to put into the compost pile?
While the rhubarb leaves do contain poisonous materials, they can be
used in the compost pile. Oxalic acid and soluble oxalates are not
readily absorbed by the roots of plants. Compost containing decomposed
rhubarb leaves can be safely worked into the soil of vegetable gardens.
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...ubarbsafe.html
--
- Billy
Old 28-04-2010, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 27, 4:40*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Merryb wrote:
Hi all,
I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves are
posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!

They will break down just fine. *The poison is not very dangerous and it is
not very persistent. *It is oxalate an organic compound which will go into
the mix and come out as something else and/or at least be greatly diluted..

David

Thank you- I will sleep better tonight! A compost bin is quite a
commitment, and I'd be quite sad if I screwed it up!
Old 28-04-2010, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 27, 4:58*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*Merryb wrote:
Hi all,
*I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves are
posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!

Forgiver the cut and past, but his is the answer you were looking for.

Are rhubarb leaves safe to put into the compost pile?
While the rhubarb leaves do contain poisonous materials, they can be
used in the compost pile. Oxalic acid and soluble oxalates are not
readily absorbed by the roots of plants. Compost containing decomposed
rhubarb leaves can be safely worked into the soil of vegetable gardens.http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...ubarbsafe.html
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l...Zinn_page.html

Thank you! I'll make sure I work in in. When I turned it this last
weekend, I saw lots of worms...a good sign!

Old 28-04-2010, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Merryb" wrote in message

Thank you- I will sleep better tonight! A compost bin is quite a
commitment, and I'd be quite sad if I screwed it up!

:-)) Compost bins are never worth losing sleep over. I've been screwing up
compost making for decades and I've decided that I actually like all the
voluteer plants that grow from the 'finished' compost. Mind you if you
don't like tomato plants in your flower beds, you do have to have separate
compost heaps - one for ornamentals and one for the veg.

Old 29-04-2010, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 27, 9:05*pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Merryb" wrote in message
Thank you- I will sleep better tonight! A compost bin is quite a
commitment, and I'd be quite sad if I screwed it up!

:-)) *Compost bins are never worth losing sleep over. *I've been screwing up
compost making for decades and I've decided that I actually like all the
voluteer plants that grow from the 'finished' compost. *Mind you if you
don't like tomato plants in your flower beds, you do have to have separate
compost heaps - one for ornamentals and one for the veg.

I have some pretty healthy potato plants coming up in it!
Old 17-05-2010, 08:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Merryb wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:58 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Merryb wrote:
[...]

I have two big bins, and don't turn them. They just go for a year or more before
they get used, and a bit of incomplete stuff gets thrown into the "input" bin as
I use the older one. It makes composting less of a chore.

Old 17-05-2010, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Merryb wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:58 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Merryb wrote:
Hi all,
I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves
are posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!

Forgiver the cut and past, but his is the answer you were looking
for.

Are rhubarb leaves safe to put into the compost pile?
While the rhubarb leaves do contain poisonous materials, they can be
used in the compost pile. Oxalic acid and soluble oxalates are not
readily absorbed by the roots of plants. Compost containing
decomposed
rhubarb leaves can be safely worked into the soil of vegetable
gardens.http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn.../rhubarbsafe.h
tml
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito
Mussolini.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l...w.thirdworldtr
aveler.com/Zinn/HZinn_page.html

Thank you! I'll make sure I work in in. When I turned it this last
weekend, I saw lots of worms...a good sign!

I have two big bins, and don't turn them. They just go for a year or more
before
they get used, and a bit of incomplete stuff gets thrown into the "input" bin
as
I use the older one. It makes composting less of a chore.

Turn that pile! Its not a chore, think of it as good exercise. After
turning a cubic yard of compost my arms and legs are pumped! Turn that
pile and use all of those muscles. Its like doing several specific
weight lifting routines all wrapped up in one motion.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 17-05-2010, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Merryb wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:58 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Merryb wrote:
Hi all,
I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves
are posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!

Forgiver the cut and past, but his is the answer you were looking
for.

Are rhubarb leaves safe to put into the compost pile?
While the rhubarb leaves do contain poisonous materials, they can be
used in the compost pile. Oxalic acid and soluble oxalates are not
readily absorbed by the roots of plants. Compost containing
decomposed
rhubarb leaves can be safely worked into the soil of vegetable
gardens.http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...97/rhubarbsafe
.h
tml
--
Mussolini.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l...www.thirdworld
tr
aveler.com/Zinn/HZinn_page.html

Thank you! I'll make sure I work in in. When I turned it this last
weekend, I saw lots of worms...a good sign!

I have two big bins, and don't turn them. They just go for a year or more
before
they get used, and a bit of incomplete stuff gets thrown into the "input"
bin
as
I use the older one. It makes composting less of a chore.

Turn that pile! Its not a chore, think of it as good exercise. After
turning a cubic yard of compost my arms and legs are pumped! Turn that
pile and use all of those muscles. Its like doing several specific
weight lifting routines all wrapped up in one motion.

Worse comes to worse. we'll attend your service ;O)
--
- Billy

Old 18-05-2010, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Merryb wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:58 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Merryb wrote:
Hi all,
I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves
are posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!

Forgiver the cut and past, but his is the answer you were looking
for.

Are rhubarb leaves safe to put into the compost pile?
While the rhubarb leaves do contain poisonous materials, they can be
used in the compost pile. Oxalic acid and soluble oxalates are not
readily absorbed by the roots of plants. Compost containing
decomposed
rhubarb leaves can be safely worked into the soil of vegetable
gardens.http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...1997/rhubarbsa
fe
.h
tml
--
[...]

LOL, I am not getting older I need to get a will that states. I want
to be cremated and my ashes put in to the flower garden.

When someone ask "Where is Dan?" They can say "Dan is pushing daisies"

Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Registered User

Compost bins are never account accident beddy-bye over. I've been blame up compost authoritative for decades and I've absitively that I in fact like all the voluteer plants that abound from the 'finished' compost. Mind you if you don't like amazon plants in your annual beds, you do accept to accept separate compost abundance - one for ornamentals and one for the veg.
Lights grow