GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Roots in Raised Bed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/191190-roots-raised-bed.html)

George[_14_] 01-05-2010 03:51 AM

Roots in Raised Bed

"George" wrote in message

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Mike wrote:

Thanks for all comments.

SFG is Square Foot Gardening. I do pull most of the roots, but the
finer ones inevitably get left behind. Like I mentioned, I've only
been doing this for a couple of years so just looking for advice and
trying to learn from the folks here with the experience and
knowledge. I am trying to be "natural" by not using artificial
fertilizers or pesticides (compost instead), so thanks George for
introducing "Fukuoka Farming" - that's a new one to me and I'll check
it out.

The book you may want to peruse is "The One-straw revolution" by
Masanobu Fukuoka. If inclined check out Wendell Berry who wrote the
preface. Not so much a how to but a why for kind of book. Leading to
more why for and how to adventures.

in my vege garden fukuoka translates to leaving weeds (not yet at seed
stage) and crop detritus in the garden beds. No wholesale clearing away to
a compost bin. It may be move to another garden as mulch but will stay in
the vege garden system itself. Somethings, like tomatos, I do move to
another part of the section every year but that is simply due to the
possibility of disease. I mulch the gardens through the year with grass,
leaves, spent crop residue etc.
Not fully fukuoka but I have lifted some of his techniques. Why move it if
it breaks down in situ.

and that gives you more time to brew and drink home made cider.

rob

Suzanne D.[_2_] 01-05-2010 07:10 AM

Roots in Raised Bed

"George" wrote in message

in my vege garden fukuoka translates to leaving weeds (not yet at seed
stage) and crop detritus in the garden beds. No wholesale clearing away to
a compost bin. It may be move to another garden as mulch but will stay in
the vege garden system itself.

I do this too. Any time I pull up some grass or a weed, I just lay it back
down over the mulch whence it came. I do have a compost pile for kitchen
scraps, but I see no point in moving yard wastes that were taken from a bed
to anywhere other than back in the bed itself. (Maybe I am just lazy!)
--S.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 06-05-2010 12:44 AM

Roots in Raised Bed (leave as is & drink some cider instead)

Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
I've been doing SFG in raised beds for a couple of years now, and
there is now an accumulation of left over roots in the beds from
past plantings. I imagine they compost at some time, but do they
compost quickly in the beds? Is it OK to leave the old roots in
the beds or are they going to hinder roots/plants of future
plantings?

Thanks.

Fukuoka farming - leave the roots in the soil to break down. Spread
above soil grown plant detritus on the surface of the soil and your
friendly worm mates will take care of the rest. Job done, sit back
and enjoy a bottle of home brew cider.

rob

ANd then **** on any deserving fruit trees ;O)

\

This thread subject had me pulling my international hat right down over my
eyes. How to explain? In the USA if a young woman said she was rooting for
her team it would be perfectly normal, in Australia she would be given a
quick language lesson

David.

Ross McKay[_2_] 06-05-2010 01:52 AM

On Thu, 6 May 2010 09:44:32 +1000, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

This thread subject had me pulling my international hat right down over my
eyes. How to explain? In the USA if a young woman said she was rooting for
her team it would be perfectly normal, in Australia she would be given a
quick language lesson

I dunno David, I've found that a raised bed can help alleviate hip
strain, as can a few ciders. Old roots can sometimes be a problem,
however...
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Since when were you so generously inarticulate?" - Elvis Costello

Billy[_10_] 06-05-2010 02:58 AM

Roots in Raised Bed (leave as is & drink some cider instead)

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Sooo, what then do Australians call the terrestrial moiety of the plant?

The closest comparison that I can think of in Am. English is screw (the
noun), which can also be a verb.
--
- Billy

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 06-05-2010 06:41 AM

Roots in Raised Bed (leave as is & drink some cider instead)

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Roots

The closest comparison that I can think of in Am. English is screw
(the noun), which can also be a verb.

Yes the sort with no thread.

David

George[_14_] 06-05-2010 10:34 AM

Roots in Raised Bed (leave as is & drink some cider instead)

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Hadn't actually thought of the significance of what I had written.

In Australia she'd probably cause a line of jokers to appear, at least until
they knew there was some free grog on offer.

The title poses a big dilemma for an Aussie. A sheila or some grog.

Must be causing our ocker cobbers on the newsgroup no end of angst. Strewth.

rob

Billy[_10_] 06-05-2010 07:07 PM

wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Now, ain't you the cunning linguist ;O)
--
- Billy

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 07-05-2010 01:42 AM

George wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Fair suck o the sav, only if the football wasn't on. I suppose I shouldn't
bring religion into it.

The title poses a big dilemma for an Aussie. A sheila or some grog.

Not all Aussies like sheilas and grog, stone the crows some like blokes and
grog.

Must be causing our ocker cobbers on the newsgroup no end of angst.

Ockers and cobbers don't experience angst for the same reason real men don't
eat quiche.

Strewth.

Now you are the one bringing religion into it.

David

Billy[_10_] 07-05-2010 06:31 AM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

George wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Damn fine John Wayne impersonation ;O)

But with the quiche, the whole wheat crust is the tricky part. You got
to let it sit for a couple of hours before you roll it out, or it will
have a real grainy texture, kinda like sand. Once it is rolled out, and
in the quiche form, ya need to slip an aluminum liner into the crust
where you put rice, or coffee beans, or these special ceramic marbles
that keep the sides of the damn crust from falling down while you bake
it. The custard is easy, and it is your choice of what you put in it. It
goes really well wit a gewürztraminer (spicy one from Tramin an der
Weintraße: Trameno Sullo Strade del Vino, Italy).
--
- Billy

George[_14_] 07-05-2010 08:52 AM

Roots in Raised Bed (leave as is & drink some cider instead)

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

George wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

yeah, I guess we should probably stop this thread, the contents is bound to
attract the likes of Charlie sooner or later.

Anyway, who dragged him and his questionable deviances into this
conversation any way. Wish they hadn't.

rob

George[_14_] 07-05-2010 08:53 AM

George wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

and brain dead people don't experience pain

or certain NRL clubs don't experience salary caps

rob

George[_14_] 07-05-2010 08:55 AM

George wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

David, remind me again, what did this thread have you pulling?

rob

Billy[_10_] 07-05-2010 04:38 PM

Roots in Raised Bed (leave as is & drink some cider instead)

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

George wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

???????????
--
- Billy

George[_14_] 08-05-2010 06:26 AM

Roots in Raised Bed (leave as is & drink some cider instead)

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

George wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Charlie. The guy who gave me some bum cider advice.

rob