Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Ocean City MD
Default tomoatoes & blue berries

I am a new gardener. I have two raised beds 4x6. One I planted 3 blueberry bushes in last fall. They survived the winter and are flowering well. i would also like to grow strawberries & tomoatoes. I read not to put Strawberries with tomoatoes but can I put the tomoatoes with blueberries. Where can i find a list of fruit & vegtable compatible plantings? Should I keep everybody separate? What about cukes? Can i add them in somewhere?
thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
gailfg wrote:

I am a new gardener. I have two raised beds 4x6. One I planted 3
blueberry bushes in last fall. They survived the winter and are
flowering well. i would also like to grow strawberries & tomoatoes. I
read not to put Strawberries with tomoatoes but can I put the tomoatoes
with blueberries. Where can i find a list of fruit & vegtable compatible
plantings? Should I keep everybody separate? What about cukes? Can i add
them in somewhere?
thanks

You mean like
http://www.gardensablaze.com/Companions/CompanionYield.htm ?
--
- Billy
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfg View Post
I am a new gardener. I have two raised beds 4x6. One I planted 3 blueberry bushes in last fall. They survived the winter and are flowering well. i would also like to grow strawberries & tomoatoes. I read not to put Strawberries with tomoatoes but can I put the tomoatoes with blueberries. Where can i find a list of fruit & vegtable compatible plantings? Should I keep everybody separate? What about cukes? Can i add them in somewhere?
thanks

Well, blueberry needs soil that posses PH 5 to 6 and tomato needs PH 7.5. So, I think it will be OK. Strawberry attracts more pests because of its taste and fragrance, that's why this plant may bring unwanted pests for tomatoes.

Growing tomatoes