Old 05-05-2010, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Peppers and tomatoes are *finally* sprouting

Gonna be a late harvest this year. (Chile de arbol and an unknown
variety of "Roma" tomatoes.) I was beginning to wonder if the pepper
seeds were still good. I think the kitchen is just a little too cold
and delayed the germination.

I should probably still sow some Stupice or Early Girl tomato seeds so
I'll have a chance at some mid-season tomatoes.

Bob
Old 07-05-2010, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Me, I've got raccoons who like to browse the mulch (dig in it). This
year I'm laying down wire fencing to interfere with his digging stroke.
So far, so good.

Being lazy, I've gone to no dig, lasagna gardening (a.k.a.: sheet
mulching). If I was you, I'd spread my amendments in your beds, then lay
newspaper over the amendments and your dandelions (their roots are in
there deep, so let'em compost there), and then spread the mulch over the
newsprint. Hose it down, and then wait a week before planting. I just
punch down through the mulch, or push it a little to the side, make my
planting hole, put in the plant, readjust the dirt, and push the mulch
back in. I'm using a dibble or a narrow trowel to make my planting holes.

Have a great year ;O))

They may have taken 3 or 4 weeks to germinate, but the pepper
seedlings are popping up like crazy. I think every seed sprouted --
pretty much all at once when they finally got started. If they
maintain this kind of vigor, I just might get a good pepper crop afterall.

I have about a half a dozen Roma tomatoes up; the tomatillos haven't
sprouted yet, but I took those seeds from a bag of tomatillos I froze
2 years ago so I'm not sure they are good. If not, I'll just
transplant volunteers but that will give me a later crop.

I planted some Stupice tomato seeds last night. I put that pot on the
heated floor in the bathroom and will leave it there for a few days,
then move it down under the lights. (Stupice is such an early tomato,
you can almost direct-sow them here.) I'll buy one or two large
Better Boy or Brandywine plants from the local nursery for slicing
tomatoes.

The onion sets are up and the birds and squirrels are leaving them
alone now. The mint is going crazy (don't know what kind of mint it
is; looks like peppermint but it stinks when it's fresh. Very nice
when dried) The garden is looking up, even tho' it is cold and gray
and drizzly here just in time for the weekend.

Bob