GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cucurbit stem woes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/191415-cucurbit-stem-woes.html)

Jeff Thies 10-05-2010 05:05 PM

cucurbit stem woes

The stem of one of my cucurbits (I thought it was a watermelon, but
it is probably some other melon) has gotten flattened (the first few
inches out of the ground) and a bit dried looking. Just after this is a
node with many leaves (~8) branching out, they look very healthy.

I'd like to save/fix/help this as I've only got two. What might have
caused that? What to do? I've pushed the node into the soil, should I
cut off a leaf, or do something else.

Jeff

Billy[_10_] 10-05-2010 06:10 PM

cucurbit stem woes

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

The stem of one of my cucurbits (I thought it was a watermelon, but
it is probably some other melon) has gotten flattened (the first few
inches out of the ground) and a bit dried looking. Just after this is a
node with many leaves (~8) branching out, they look very healthy.

I'd like to save/fix/help this as I've only got two. What might have
caused that? What to do? I've pushed the node into the soil, should I
cut off a leaf, or do something else.

Jeff

http://www.jstor.org/pss/40022365 is encouraging.

Maybe wrap some sphagnum moss around damaged area and/or drip on some
rooting compound. Very interesting question.

Reminds me of the time I was weeding around my climbing squash, only to
suddenly see one of them looking back at me from a handful of weeds :O(
--
- Billy