Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Strawberries and slugs

I am having a problem with slugs and my strawberries, as soon as they get
almost ready to pick these little slugs eat holes in them. What can I do
without putting any poisons down?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 10 May 2010 17:56:08 -0700, "aluckyguess" wrote:

I am having a problem with slugs and my strawberries, as soon as they get
almost ready to pick these little slugs eat holes in them. What can I do
without putting any poisons down?

If you're in Australia, encourage the blue-tongue lizards. We have a
couple that make the occasional appearance around here and have not had
a problem with snails or slugs since their arrival.

If not in Australia, well... do you have an animal there that likes
eating slugs and snails? (Ducks, perhaps? or do they like strawberries
too?
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed." - Gandhi
Old 11-05-2010, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Get some Sluggo. Non-Toxic. Even OK to use with pets and kids
around. Not a poison. Good stuff. Stops slugs. They stop eating
and die. I've used it for years now.

Art

Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I am having a problem with slugs and my strawberries, as soon as they get
almost ready to pick these little slugs eat holes in them. What can I do
without putting any poisons down?

I'll second that. Active ingredient is ferrous phosphate (iron phosphate
on container). It is non toxic to mammals (you and me and our pets,
unless you have a pet gastropod).
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health...rous-phosphate
/index.html

Locally, you can get Sluggo at $10/lb., or Ortho Ecosense brand at
$5/lb. (found at Home Despot) Bill who putters got the straight poop
(chemical), and that worked out to $1/lb or so. We may have to threaten
to post a picture of him with his finger in his nose to get him to
divulge. Problem is it took a number of months, and many crises of faith
before it arrived.
--
- Billy

Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 10, 8:56*pm, "aluckyguess" wrote:
I am having a problem with slugs and my strawberries, as soon as they get
almost ready to pick these little slugs eat holes in them. *What can I do
without putting any poisons down?

I put copper mesh around my mushroom garden to keep the slugs off.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1206

Paul
Old 11-05-2010, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 10, 5:56*pm, "aluckyguess" wrote:
I am having a problem with slugs and my strawberries, as soon as they get
almost ready to pick these little slugs eat holes in them. *What can I do
without putting any poisons down?

Someone told me crushed egg shells- it slices them when they crawl
over them...
Old 15-05-2010, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I want to thank you again, just picked a bunch of strawberries and no slugs.