Old 14-05-2010, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How to tell cantaloupe, cucumber and honey dew plants apart

I planted by seed this year and didn't do a good job of marking which
was which. What I thought were watermelon plants, clearly aren't. They
have leaves like cucumbers but seem to be in clusters, rather than
alternate. They also have stronger points on the leaves than cucumbers.

My hope is that I'm growing something other than just cukes! Not a
big deal as eventually I will know! It seems like there should be a
cucurbit taxonomy reference, but I can't find it.

Jeff
Old 14-05-2010, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jeff Thies wrote:
I planted by seed this year and didn't do a good job of marking
which was which. What I thought were watermelon plants, clearly
aren't. They have leaves like cucumbers but seem to be in clusters,
rather than alternate. They also have stronger points on the leaves
than cucumbers.
My hope is that I'm growing something other than just cukes! Not a
big deal as eventually I will know! It seems like there should be a
cucurbit taxonomy reference, but I can't find it.

Jeff

While your cucurbit seedlings may look slightly different (or not) it is
very hard to say which is which unless you have a known exemplar to compare
against, even then they may be so similar that you cannot be sure. There is
no simple rule like 'all cucumbers have a ....." or 'all watermelons lack
.....' You will probably have to wait until they grow up when the
differences are clearer.

You should pay closer attention in future as they don't grow to the same
size and you should allow for this when planting if you don't want your
pumpkin to stomp on everything else.

David

Old 14-05-2010, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I planted by seed this year and didn't do a good job of marking which
was which. What I thought were watermelon plants, clearly aren't. They
have leaves like cucumbers but seem to be in clusters, rather than
alternate. They also have stronger points on the leaves than cucumbers.

My hope is that I'm growing something other than just cukes! Not a
big deal as eventually I will know! It seems like there should be a
cucurbit taxonomy reference, but I can't find it.

Jeff

Seems like you bit off a big one.

The book you want is
Cucurbits (Crop Production Science in Horticulture) (Paperback)
~ D Decker-Walters (Author), R W Robinson (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Cucurbits-Crop...rticulture/dp/
0851991335

My library doesn't have it, and at $60, Amazon is out of stock.

http://delta-intkey.com/angio/ looks like it could be useful, but I'm
out of my league with it.
--
- Billy
Old 14-05-2010, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

It is an odd thing isn't it, I couldn't figure it out either.

I suppose the thing to do, as David suggested is to better mark them.
Sharpie on peat pot was a bad idea, as was photographing the trays with
the seed envelopes adjacent. I suppose those plastic sticks and a
sharpie is the way to go.

It is remarkable how similar the leaves are, and looking at pics
online is hopeless.

On another note, I just ran across this from UA:

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/indexes/anrho.php

I mention that only as a resource that is extensive and readable. You
seem to collect those!

Jeff
Old 14-05-2010, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

With me, I usually make the same mistake until it ****es me off. I don't
recommend it as a tactic, but I seem to have a need to run into walls.

It is remarkable how similar the leaves are, and looking at pics
online is hopeless.

On another note, I just ran across this from UA:

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/indexes/anrho.php

I mention that only as a resource that is extensive and readable. You
seem to collect those!

Jeff

Wow. No mention of organic. Otherwise it looks good for identifying
diseases. Lot of information, I just need to figure out how to use it.

It's bookmarked.
--
- Billy

Old 14-05-2010, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

With grapes you need to see the flower, the cluster, and the seeds. A
tall order in spring.
--
- Billy
Old 14-05-2010, 10:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I planted by seed this year and didn't do a good job of marking which
was which. What I thought were watermelon plants, clearly aren't. They
have leaves like cucumbers but seem to be in clusters, rather than
alternate. They also have stronger points on the leaves than cucumbers.

My hope is that I'm growing something other than just cukes! Not a
big deal as eventually I will know! It seems like there should be a
cucurbit taxonomy reference, but I can't find it.

Jeff

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber...0Seedling%20Id
entification.pdf

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/ many stars
Old 14-05-2010, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I planted by seed this year and didn't do a good job of marking
which was which. What I thought were watermelon plants, clearly
aren't. They have leaves like cucumbers but seem to be in clusters,
rather than alternate. They also have stronger points on the leaves
than cucumbers.

My hope is that I'm growing something other than just cukes! Not a
big deal as eventually I will know! It seems like there should be a
cucurbit taxonomy reference, but I can't find it.

Jeff

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber...0Seedling%20Id
entification.pdf

That's good thanks

David
Old 14-05-2010, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 13 May 2010 22:29:24 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

When we bought our last muscadines we got them in the fall. We asked
the owner of the nursery about which were muscadines (purple) and
which were scuppernongs (bronze). He said they are out in the side
area and many have grapes on them. So we looked around and sampled
some of the grapes and bought the ones we liked the taste of. Only
way to buy them.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 14-05-2010, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 13 May 2010 22:42:57 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

I finally figured out a way to mark plants. I always use separated
trays and plant a row or more of 6.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/265e7xe
The row gets a label. The label is a popsickle stick written in dark
pencil or ink. When I move the seedlings into a larger tray each
plant gets a marker. I keep the markers with the plant at least until
I get them into the ground. That way I do not plant all acorn squash
instead of zucchini (green and yellow), butternut, cucumbers and
watermelon. Once they are in the ground I don't worry about it. I
will know for sure when they start fruiting. I plant my cucumbers
around a 5' tomato cage.

I am somewhat obsessive about my tomatoes. I plant many varieties and
it can be hard to tell the difference between the various Romas or the
red slicers. I track the yield on each variety to see which ones do
the best here and which ones we think taste best. I print out a plot
and try to be very careful as I plant. I keep a copy of it in a
plastic sleeve pinned to one of the cages. I do it on the computer so
I can always make another copy if needed.

I said it was obsessive.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Old 14-05-2010, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I planted by seed this year and didn't do a good job of marking
which was which. What I thought were watermelon plants, clearly
aren't. They have leaves like cucumbers but seem to be in clusters,
rather than alternate. They also have stronger points on the leaves
than cucumbers.
My hope is that I'm growing something other than just cukes! Not a
big deal as eventually I will know! It seems like there should be a
cucurbit taxonomy reference, but I can't find it.

Jeff

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber...0Seedling%20Id
entification.pdf

That's good thanks

I agree. Although it is is still damn hard to see the difference
between cucumbers and musk melons! The article is well worth a hard copy.

Jeff

David

Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Registered User

I accept the affair to do, as David appropriate is to bigger mark them. Sharpie on peat pot was a bad idea, as was photographing the trays with the berry envelopes adjacent. I accept those artificial sticks and a sharpie is the way to go.
Lights grow