Old 24-05-2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default pine mycelium benefits

Not living in a pine forest we always added what pine needles we could
muster. Recently ( the last 10 years that has increased a lot ). I
sort of have belief that a mix of life is better than a narrow use of
biological compost ingredients. So this would lead be assume a land
rich in chicken or cow manures still would benefit from other once
living things like Green sand, bone meal or granite dust for instance.

Anyway seems fungi may be a good thing to encourage in your garden but
not in your toes or groin. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

Sort of touches on pH as mentioned in another tread I can not fine.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 24-05-2010, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

Not living in a pine forest we always added what pine needles we could
muster. Recently ( the last 10 years that has increased a lot ). I
sort of have belief that a mix of life is better than a narrow use of
biological compost ingredients. So this would lead be assume a land
rich in chicken or cow manures still would benefit from other once
living things like Green sand, bone meal or granite dust for instance.

Anyway seems fungi may be a good thing to encourage in your garden but
not in your toes or groin. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

"Plants grown in sterile soils and growth media often perform poorly
without the addition of spores or hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi to
colonise the plant roots and aid in the uptake of soil mineral
nutrients."

The article does raise the importance of adding mycorrhizal fungi to
perennial plants grown in pots.

Sort of touches on pH as mentioned in another tread I can not fine.

--
- Billy
Old 25-05-2010, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mycorrhiza Question Was: pine mycelium benefits

In article ,
wrote:

Aside from controlling regionally pestiferous beetles, for which
there exists specific B.t., why on earth would someone just generically
add unknown varieties of Bt to his garden soil? I know that _I_
certainly don't want to and won't continue the practice. Shame on me for
not reading the label more carefully before now. The balance on-hand
(some unopened) is going very away. Bt remains viable in the soil longer
than in any other environment but eventually will die off. Needless to
say, I must find another fungus source!
The Question: Does anyone have a line on a reliable source for
mycorrhiza (without the B.t., tyvm) that are believed to have a salutary
effect on the culture of common garden veggies? Experienced campers
only, please; I know about Google, too.

I'd guess the BT you purchased was cultivated and concentrated. We
have Gypsy moths every few years and the sevin and BT folks go at it but
both kill. Both kill I believe indiscriminately so good guys go too.
But your question touches on pathogens in soil. I guess there are many
as it is a way to transform outside to inside aka food. But the degree
of toxin may depend on homogenizist (sp) balance. Living and
disturbing seems to be what life does doing it reasonably well we it
seems to be a work in progress. I'd try many things with the amount of
interference or acts reduced and see what occurs and help it. Hard to
word this but rich soil smells alive and innatly we like it.

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.p...s/article/160/

: Does anyone have a line on a reliable source for
mycorrhiza

Grow it .

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...6TC7-47DKM4K-9
P&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F1986&_rdoc=1&_fmt= high&_orig=search&_sort
=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1348119097&_rer unOrigin=scholar.google
&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid =10&md5=ab1319f7a0f4dca
8de546a98513fedaa

Old 25-05-2010, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

Dear Reader:
If this post does not start a new thread in your newsreading
software, please configure your software properly or change to competent
newsreading software! LOL ThankYouVeryMuch, bvm

Bill who putters wrote:

Anyway seems fungi may be a good thing to encourage in your garden but
not in your toes or groin. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

For very many years, I have relied on B.t.-k for lepidoptera
control. Fearful of eventual resistance and of debilitation of native
solitary bees, wasps, flies, and beetles, I've always been careful to
buy strains with narrow and known effectiveness and applied B.t. as if
it were a deadly poison, taking care to minimize "leakage" into the rest
of the garden and -- for 15 years, now -- delivering remainders to an
incineration facility.
For the past three or four years, I have been adding a commercial
blend of natural low-yield nutrients ubiquitously in my garden and using
it as a compost starter primarily as a source of known varieties of
mycorrhiza. For some reason, the above citation caused me to read the
product's label more closely. Listed thereon, among "beneficial"
bioactives, is "Bacillus thuringiensis", no variety or subvariety named.
Aside from controlling regionally pestiferous beetles, for which
there exists specific B.t., why on earth would someone just generically
add unknown varieties of Bt to his garden soil? I know that _I_
certainly don't want to and won't continue the practice. Shame on me for
not reading the label more carefully before now. The balance on-hand
(some unopened) is going very away. Bt remains viable in the soil longer
than in any other environment but eventually will die off. Needless to
say, I must find another fungus source!
The Question: Does anyone have a line on a reliable source for
mycorrhiza (without the B.t., tyvm) that are believed to have a salutary
effect on the culture of common garden veggies? Experienced campers
only, please; I know about Google, too.

Bacillus Thuringiensis occurs naturally and is grown in concentrations
in order to be effective.

"Overall, Bt-modified crops appear to be safe for farmers and
consumers.[18] The proteins produced by Bt have been used in sprays for
agricultural weed control in France since 1938 and the USA since 1958
with seemingly no ill effects on the environment or human health.[19]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillu...lth_and_safety

Colonization of barren soil
Plants grown in sterile soils and growth media often perform poorly
without the addition of spores or hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi to
colonise the plant roots and aid in the uptake of soil mineral
nutrients.[14]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

Mycorrhiza will exist in garden soil but may not in potting mix. It is
therefore a wise practice to add it to perennials in pots.
--
- Billy
Old 26-05-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

As a side note, mycorrhizae are a good reason not to rototill or dig up
your garden every year, because you just end up damaging their mycelium,
besides undoing all the good work that the worms, and other burrowers
have put in.
--
- Billy

Old 26-05-2010, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Go to www.fungi.com , Paul Stametz work with fungi is cutting edge.
Steve
m...

Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.
"You know what they say: Once you kill a cow,
You gotta make a burger" --Lady Gaga

Old 16-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered User

Plants developed in antiseptic soils and advance media generally accomplish poorly without the accession of spores or hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi to colonise the bulb roots and aid in the uptake of clay mineral nutrients.
Grow tents