Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I killed my tomato plant

This is a first for me. I planted a yellow pear tomato, and I
remembered reading that you are supposed to plant them deep. It was
about 9" tall to begin with, and I planted it with about 4" sticking out
of the hole. It grew pretty well over the past 3 weeks, and was about a
foot tall. Then it fell over, and started to wilt every day. Today I
finally figured out that the plant was rotting right at ground level.
Evidently the daily waterings were simply too often, and so I killed it
with water. I've never had that happen to a tomato plant before. Then
again, I'm not certain I've ever watered them that often, either.
During the time the tomato was growing, I kept planting other plants,
and so I needed to get the watering wand out every day. Since I already
had it out, I went ahead and got the tomato too.

Now I'll have to decide what other vegetable to put there.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:29:33 -0400, Ohioguy wrote:

This is a first for me. I planted a yellow pear tomato, and I
remembered reading that you are supposed to plant them deep. It was
about 9" tall to begin with, and I planted it with about 4" sticking out
of the hole. It grew pretty well over the past 3 weeks, and was about a
foot tall. Then it fell over, and started to wilt every day. Today I
finally figured out that the plant was rotting right at ground level.
Evidently the daily waterings were simply too often, and so I killed it
with water. I've never had that happen to a tomato plant before. Then
again, I'm not certain I've ever watered them that often, either. During
the time the tomato was growing, I kept planting other plants, and so I
needed to get the watering wand out every day. Since I already had it
out, I went ahead and got the tomato too.

Now I'll have to decide what other vegetable to put there.

You can put another tomato plant in, you still have time. I've been
spraying my tomatoes with copper fungicide spray this year to prevent
blight. Last year was a complete disaster in my area (New England)
because of late blight.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ohioguy wrote:
This is a first for me. I planted a yellow pear tomato, and I
remembered reading that you are supposed to plant them deep. It was
about 9" tall to begin with, and I planted it with about 4" sticking out
of the hole. It grew pretty well over the past 3 weeks, and was about a
foot tall. Then it fell over, and started to wilt every day. Today I
finally figured out that the plant was rotting right at ground level.
Evidently the daily waterings were simply too often, and so I killed it
with water. I've never had that happen to a tomato plant before. Then
again, I'm not certain I've ever watered them that often, either. During
the time the tomato was growing, I kept planting other plants, and so I
needed to get the watering wand out every day. Since I already had it
out, I went ahead and got the tomato too.

Now I'll have to decide what other vegetable to put there.

Look for a Stupice or Early Girl tomato plant to replace it. (You
probably still have time to replant with any variety except a really
late-season one)

Bob
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:35:52 -0500, balvenieman wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've beenspraying my tomatoes with copper fungicide spray this year to
prevent blight. Last year was a complete disaster in my area (New
England) because of late blight.

Last year I brought home what looked suspiciously like potato
blight on some commercial cucumber sets; in addition, it took out a
tomato in short order before I got them disposed of. Fortunately, those
plants were in containers so the soil is isolated and I'll grow other
things in those containers for a few years.
This year, it was a sudden onslaught of downy mildew that caused

me
to pull a batch of "little marvel" peas on 1 May, just as they were
their most productive. Since then, I've sprayed _everything_ (well,
almost) with neem oil at least weekly, depending on rainfall. I also
sterilize my trellises, shears, knife, butcher's cotton twine garden
ties, etc. with 91% alcohol.
This is my first year using neem oil. In past years, I've used
copper fungicides with only spotty, unreliable results so if the neem
doesn't kill stuff outright....

I'm using both copper and neem oil.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

I wonder if I should somehow sterilize my old tomato cages? (made of
rusty concrete reinforcement mesh) Or maybe discard them and build
new ones? They are at least 10 or 15 years old. Do you think blight
(etc) spores could overwinter in the rust? I leave them outdoors
exposed to the cold and snow, that's one reason they are so rusty.

Bob

Old 08-06-2010, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

The rate of evapotranspiration varies greatly with the weather. Water after
testing the soil if it is needed not after a certain time interval has
elapsed.

David

Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Registered User

I would like to give advise you that Tomato seedlings will need either strong, direct sunlight or 14-18 hours under grow lights. Place the young plants only a couple of inches from florescent grow lights. Plant your tomatoes outside in the sunniest part of your vegetable plot. I hope that this will be help.

HELP I killed my grass with weed-n-feed!!!! MIchelle Gardening 31 27-08-2019 10:34 PM
Killed a Sourwood dementia13 Gardening 7 09-07-2003 04:56 AM
Help, I think I killed my rose Laura Gilbert Roses 2 04-07-2003 12:12 AM
killed a 'can't kill me' plant... linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 19-04-2003 01:20 AM
Dwarf Lilac - seem to have killed it? Rosie United Kingdom 3 26-11-2002 01:50 AM