Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Is this watermelon ready to pick (picture included)? newbie here

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...watermelon.jpg

Is this watermelon ready to pick? Planted this from seed around easter
in the middle of south carolina. The thing that's confusing me is
that the underbelly is already yellow (which i've read means it could
be ripe), but I thought these were supposed to grow for longer. This
is my first time growing watermelon. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Zarlot531 said:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...watermelon.jpg

Is this watermelon ready to pick? Planted this from seed around easter
in the middle of south carolina. The thing that's confusing me is
that the underbelly is already yellow (which i've read means it could
be ripe), but I thought these were supposed to grow for longer. This
is my first time growing watermelon. Thanks.

Has the tendril nearest where the watermelon's stem attaches dried up?
That's another sign of ripeness.

Also, if you drag your fingers across the surface of the watermelon,
you should be able to make out a subtle pattern of veins or stringiness
running from the stem to blossom end. (This is something I always
check for on watermelons I buy at the market.)

Size and time to harvest vary a lot, depending on the exact variety
of watermelon in question, not to mention growing conditions.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Zarlot531 wrote:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...watermelon.jpg

Is this watermelon ready to pick? Planted this from seed around easter
in the middle of south carolina. The thing that's confusing me is
that the underbelly is already yellow (which i've read means it could
be ripe), but I thought these were supposed to grow for longer. This
is my first time growing watermelon. Thanks.

We use sound. Tape melon and compare to below sound.

Tape head = Not Ripe
Tape chest = Ripe
Tape stomach = Over Ripe

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Zarlot531 wrote:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...watermelon.jpg

Is this watermelon ready to pick? Planted this from seed around easter
in the middle of south carolina. The thing that's confusing me is
that the underbelly is already yellow (which i've read means it could
be ripe), but I thought these were supposed to grow for longer. This
is my first time growing watermelon. Thanks.

We use sound. Tape melon and compare to below sound.

Tape head = Not Ripe
Tape chest = Ripe
Tape stomach = Over Ripe

Mistake should be Tap.