Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default extremely prolific pepper for the pepper challenged?

I've tried growing pepper plants, and never had much luck with them
at any of the 3 different properties where I've lived in Ohio. (NW & SW)
I've used plenty of composted cow manure, mulched the ground around
them with straw, etc. I never get much of a yield. I have gotten large
plants one time, but still didn't get a lot of peppers.

I can't stand hot peppers, but I do like sweet peppers and mild
(pickled) banana peppers. I like jalapeno peppers that have just a tiny
bit of heat to go with cheese and nacho chips.

I'm interested in a variety that is known for amazingly prolific
yields, and also mild enough for someone who just can't stand much of
any pepper heat.

I'd be most likely to eat them fresh, perhaps stuff with some cheese,
or grill them with some kebabs.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ohioguy wrote:
I've tried growing pepper plants, and never had much luck with them at
any of the 3 different properties where I've lived in Ohio. (NW & SW)
I've used plenty of composted cow manure, mulched the ground around
them with straw, etc. I never get much of a yield. I have gotten large
plants one time, but still didn't get a lot of peppers.

I can't stand hot peppers, but I do like sweet peppers and mild
(pickled) banana peppers. I like jalapeno peppers that have just a tiny
bit of heat to go with cheese and nacho chips.

I'm interested in a variety that is known for amazingly prolific
yields, and also mild enough for someone who just can't stand much of
any pepper heat.

I'd be most likely to eat them fresh, perhaps stuff with some cheese,
or grill them with some kebabs.

Thanks!

"Gypsy". I think it was an All America winner about 15 or 20 years
ago and then kind of disappeared. I've started seeing them again
sometimes at the garden centers. Mild blocky yellowish-green
peppers, kind of like a banana pepper but fatter. Turn orangy-red
eventually. Extremely prolific (at least if you pick them green.)
HTH :-)

Bob

Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Gypsy". I think it was an All America winner about 15 or 20 years ago
and then kind of disappeared. I've started seeing them again sometimes

That is actually one of the 3 varieties that I tried in 2008. I got
big plants, but not a lot of yield. Story of my life!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Ohioguy
wrote:

"Gypsy". I think it was an All America winner about 15 or 20 years ago
and then kind of disappeared. I've started seeing them again sometimes

That is actually one of the 3 varieties that I tried in 2008. I got
big plants, but not a lot of yield. Story of my life!

Try giving them an extra feeding of bone meal for more flowers.
--
- Billy
Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ohioguy wrote:

"Gypsy". I think it was an All America winner about 15 or 20
years
ago and then kind of disappeared. I've started seeing them
again
sometimes

That is actually one of the 3 varieties that I tried in 2008.
I got
big plants, but not a lot of yield. Story of my life!

makes me think you are overdoing it
on the nitrogen sorts of nutrients.

also, i never have mulched peppers
as they like it warm soon as they hit