Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Human aided squash pollination

Early on, my kabochas (and related squash, I always seem to have some
other _weird_ looking squash in the patch), are loath to set because:

1. There aren't any male flowers (with pollen)

2. The bees haven't discovered the flowers yet

I almost always have about 10 days to 2 weeks of female flowers that
preceed the males. If I see a male, I dab the stamin with a haiku brush
and dab any female flowers I see. This results in setting. I generally
do this for a few weeks until there are plenty of flowers, male and
female, and bees to insure that pollination will occur naturally.

My questions are these:

1. How much pollen is necessary to get the females to set? Are a few
grains (or even a single grain) sufficient? I ask this because the first
male flowers often have few if any pollen grains on them, so there's not
much to go around.

2. How long do the pollen grains stay viable? If I don't see another
male flower for several days, are the grains still adhering to my haiku
brush going to pollinate new female flowers effectively?

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan Musicant wrote:
[...]

Technically only one as in cucurbits there is only one ovum per female
inflorescence (this is not universal, corn for example has many per ear).
It is a while since I studied this but IIRC there are several ways for the
pollen to get waylaid between touching the stigma and reaching the ovum
(like humans, girls don't have stigmas but you get the idea). Thus (like
humans mutatis mutandis) chances are much improved by having more than one
pollen grain get to the stigma.

2. How long do the pollen grains stay viable? If I don't see another
male flower for several days, are the grains still adhering to my
haiku brush going to pollinate new female flowers effectively?

I don't know for sure but I am guessing it varies with species but that it
might be viable for several days.

David

Old 08-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Musicant View Post
[...]

We have always followed the wisdom that each male flower can only be shared with UP TO 4 female flowers. Share the male equally to give them all a chance. Quite basic but it works.

Jo